Working with hda on another PC

1465   4   0
29 posts
I created an HDA and handed it off to another PC.
I can't work on it because Unreal on the other PC won't start Houdini Engine.
I installed the Houdini Engine plugin on that PC as well, so why isn't it working?
Do I need to install Houdini on the other PC as well?
スタッフ
1182 posts
On the second computer you need the following:

1) Houdini installed on the second computer
2) the Houdini Engine for Unreal plugin from that Houdini version loaded into Unreal
3) A Houdini Engine for Unreal license (FREE) install
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
スタッフ
1182 posts
If you are using Indie then you need Houdini Engine for Indie license (FREE) on the second computer.

If you are using Apprentice then there is not Engine license available for a second computer.
Robert Magee
SideFX
29 posts
Thanks. I'm using Steam, and if I have to install Houdini on a second computer, does that mean that if I create an HDA for another artist to use in Unreal, they have to buy Houdini as well?

If not,

The Steam version is tied to my account, so can other artists just license the engine as an indie version?

HDAs like the Unreal Starter Kit could be edited on a PC without installing Houdini (not Houdini engine).
Edited by gallerykim - 2023年4月23日 22:16:51
スタッフ
1182 posts
No - they can use the free Houdini Engine Indie license. If you are on steam then you are working with Indie.

They can download and install Houdini from the SideFX website - try to make sure it is the same build you are using on Steam (if this isn't possible then have them use the latest production build). They can then get the free Houdini Engine Indie from the Buy section and once they have followed the instructions for installing the Houdini Engine plug-in to Unreal (which involves manually moving a directory) then they will be able to work with your Digital Assets.
Robert Magee
SideFX
  • Quick Links