Best Practice For Rig Improvements To Imported FBX Character

804   1   0
25 posts
Hello all!
I'm currently trying to create a pipeline tool that takes a character that was rigged inside of Accurig and adds some extra joints to the skeleton to create a new skeleton as well as fix any weight painting issues. For example, Accurig takes geometry that should be rigid bound to bones and paints them like deforming geometry. I would like to remedy that as well as create a way to automate it.

First question : Is it best to add the new bones to the rest or animated skeleton?

Second question : How to do I go about making sure the rigid geo gets skinned properly in houdini? Do I blast it away, pack it, then give it a parent joint using "Capture Packed Geometry"? Or is there another method?

Third question : How do I set my animated pose as the new default pose for both my rest skeleton and rest geometry? I would like the poses to be the same but the rest pose for the bones and the geometry are off and I'm not sure how to make it so the rest pose is the same as the animated pose.
25 posts
Best method for me was to use the rest skeleton for the anim skeleton as well. If you add any new bones they should be in the rest skeleton anyways.

I came up with a very clever way of using multiparms and a for loop block to split and pack all rigid geometry.

For the last question I no longer care about the unreal base pose as its just way easier to use the rest pose.
  • Quick Links