Houdini 20 Rumors

208096   515   23
856 posts
matsnyman
I hope we can get a camera composition grid overlay for rule of thirds, Fibonacci spirals and diagonal lines. C4D has this and it makes scene block outs so much easier.

You have Video safe areas and Field guides in the display options. Maybe there's already an easy hack to modify those?
--
Jobless
9 posts
Soothsayer
matsnyman
I hope we can get a camera composition grid overlay for rule of thirds, Fibonacci spirals and diagonal lines. C4D has this and it makes scene block outs so much easier.

You have Video safe areas and Field guides in the display options. Maybe there's already an easy hack to modify those?

I don't know a lot about nodeless states but from what I know about regular python states I can't imagine it would be that difficult to throw something together
16 posts
OBJ Cameras have this functionality already implemented. You can use any SOP as a view mask overlay.
Go to the Camera "Parameter Interface" and add from the "Render Properties" the "View Mask" Folder.

Then you can define the SOP to use.
Set the aspect to ch("resx")/ch("resy") to automate it.
Create your SOP View Mask in the X/Y 0 to 1 Space.
You can even put that SOP Network inside the camera for a cleaner setup.

Very important to enable the "Camera View Mask" in the Display Options - Guides.

Waiting for the LOP Camera implementation in H20...
38 posts
Jackatack
matsnyman
Hi !! You can setup this in houdini if you want.Or
There is a HDA by Dyna studio "Houdini HDA | dy Composition Guides"
Cheers

I tried these HDAs and they all have the same problem of lagging behind the camera when moving it. This is super annoying to work with. It also sometimes messes with the camera move speed where your camera will all of the sudden move really slow in the middle of adjusting the location of it.
38 posts
Soothsayer
matsnyman

Yeah we need the same implementation that the Video safe areas and Field guides have just with the composition grids I mentioned.
If you try to do a node-based solution it is always going to have the issue of lagging after the camera when you move it.
900 posts
Maybe this is the dumbest idea ever:
Why not integrating VSCode inside Houdini, instead of implementing new features from scratch for the Houdini editors?

I have no idea if it's even possible (technically and commercially), but I've seen some web apps for coding that seem to be using VSCode engine, so I was wondering..

Also I'd like the idea that such integration could open up the possibility for further customization by the community, thanks to VSCode extensions.
Edited by Andr - 2023年6月8日 08:22:52
251 posts
I've already made that possible, check around 1 minute into this video

https://vimeo.com/832299955 [vimeo.com]

it's a houdini panel that can embed any other app/window
More code, less clicks.
900 posts
Very nice tool Jonathan, I can see its utility!

Unfortunately I've never managed to make the external editor work with Houdini.
(it doesn't always launch from shortcut, and when it does, it won't save the code back to Houdini.)
16 posts
matsnyman
I tried these HDAs and they all have the same problem of lagging behind the camera when moving it. This is super annoying to work with. It also sometimes messes with the camera move speed where your camera will all of the sudden move really slow in the middle of adjusting the location of it.

There is "Export view Continuously" in the viewport cam menu to improve the lag.
17 posts
Greetings,
Everything said in this thread did a great job of pushing me away and killed what motivations left in me to start learning.

Kind regards.
9 posts
d3dworld
Greetings,
Everything said in this thread did a great job of pushing me away and killed what motivations left in me to start learning.

Kind regards.
Sorry to hear you go. Aside from our complaints, Houdini is a great product overall and it will still be around when you come back some day
48 posts
d3dworld
Greetings,

Kind regards.
I have been in the 3D graphic biz for more years that I care to remember, starting off with 3D Studio to 3DStudio Max to Maya to Softimage then back to Maya and along the way using Blender, Lightwave even Bryce along with their multiple plugins and add-ons and now I am with Houdini which I will never leave, it is a truly spectacular software which can do anything the others can do, but better, sure, it may have a sharper learning curve, but once you understand it's logic the learning gets easier. What you have to understand is that the others mainly use pre-configured tools/buttons/scripts/shortcuts to do the things they do, Houdini also has this but more importantly you can create your own as you want, you don't have to learn this, but it is there for you. Learning Houdini to do the same functionality as say Maya doesn't take any more effort that what you put in to learn Maya, it's the deeper functionalities which take more effort, but the rewards are great. Learning and using Houdini is the best decision that I could of made, it's a pity I was seduced by the others first.
T.
17 posts
@Tser @asorgejr
thanks a lot for your replies i appreciete it , i,m 34 now and having a job burnout since years because my job experience only is just Data Entry and nothing else , my whole mind is consumed with the idea that if i start learning will i get a real job ?
or will my learnin efforts be in vain ?
i hate coding but i love artistics only fields
48 posts
d3dworld
@Tser @asorgejr
thanks a lot for your replies i appreciete it , i,m 34 now and having a job burnout since years because my job experience only is just Data Entry and nothing else , my whole mind is consumed with the idea that if i start learning will i get a real job ?
or will my learnin efforts be in vain ?
i hate coding but i love artistics only fields
You really don't need to code if you don't want to, as you can play around with that area later on, just use the available nodes and plug them together for an outcome.
T.
426 posts
I kinda don't see how it's relevant to this thread tho.

Thread title: "Houdini 20 Rumors"

It would be a bit surprsing if Houdini 20 comes out with a career consulting feature.
Edited by raincole - 2023年6月19日 06:22:06
17 posts
raincole
I kinda don't see how it's relevant to this thread tho.

Thread title: "Houdini 20 Rumors"

It would be a bit surprsing if Houdini 20 comes out with a career consulting feature.
it will be outstanding
27 posts
d3dworld
Greetings,

Kind regards.

Houdini isn't hard to learn. Even I can produce great images, sims and renders. And I'm just a simple photographer. Just take your time and have fun. That's it.
7 posts
Houdini 20 Feather Preview | FMX HIVE 2023
Posted by SideFX - May 5, 2023
Get a sneak peek at some of the feather design, grooming & generation workflows coming in the next release of Houdini - presented by SideFX's Kai Stavginski, the main developer of the toolset. Built with high performance and GPU acceleration in mind, the feather toolset in Houdini 20 will be a powerful, natural extension of the production proven grooming tools already in the software. Learn how productions requiring hair & fur will also benefit greatly from the enhancements brought about by this new system.

Kai Stavginski is a Senior Technical Director working as a consultant for SideFX Software since 2014. Based in northern Germany, he is the designer & main developer of the hair & fur grooming tools within houdini. Prior to his work at SideFX he spent many years with Double Negative, London where he contributed to VFX feature films as a VFX artist and developed VFX software such as a GPU-accelerated granular materials solver used for John Carter of Mars among others, well before such solvers were available in VFX packages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wt41iCW7-s [www.youtube.com]
Edited by marks - 2023年6月22日 02:19:27
208 posts
lewis_T
You are talking in the realm of 1% or less of users in your GPU example, QOL benefit to whom?
Just curious, what is your 1% number based on, as it would include all Mac Houdini users?
208 posts
osong
Ari has shown ML-assisted terrains in Houdini a couple of years ago (siggraph presentation or something).
I rmb that. And there was some insane speed increase too. Fingers crossed.
  • Quick Links