SkinSSS worflow ?

3381   2   1
41 posts
Hello,

I'm a total newbie when it comes to houdini and shaders. I'm looking for a simple workflow here . I have an object that I want to rendern with sss using H9.5. So I modelled my object, added a light or two, a camera, a Mantra node. I dropped the SkinSSS shader onto my object and tried to render it.

Obviously I am forgetting something or doing it wrong as I only get a black object with a bit of specularity… nothing else.

Could someone point me to a workflow or maybe a simple file ? I tried downloading a few examples from exchange but end up having a few error messages as the files seem to be for older versions.

thanks

br1
4140 posts
In your object, throw down an SSS_Scatter SOP, flip on use estimated density, and hit render. That saves out a pointcloud file, make sure that's entered in your shader description(both names default to the same). While I don't think the colours remotely approach skin unless you're a Klingon, at least it gives you an SSS surface. Hammer the values in there, you should be able to get some good SSS.

I agree, it's not obvious. Not sure there's a walkthrough in the docs, didn't catch one in a quick scan…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
41 posts
Hi J.C

I tried to follow your workflow, I didn't know there was a SSS_Scatter SOP to use with my object, so I guess it's should be better now.

I got some results, although not the ones I expected. My wax shader used for a test rendered filled with black spots, as this pictures shows.

So if you have a few more tips to get me to the right track, it'll be appreciated !
  • Quick Links