Wavefront OBJ/MTL

11594   8   0
12 posts
I think that it is time for Side effect to make a new version of their gwavefront utility which Converts .obj files to/from Houdini format.
There is now enough programs in the market which are dealing with wavefront .obj and material .mtl.
Please join me to ask Side Effects to provide and .obj utility with .mtl IN/OUT.
Thank you.

I can see on Google that cg artists where already requesting this since 2008.
we are now in 2011:cry:
スタッフ
3455 posts
as usful as obj/mtl is as a utility file format it really isn't widely used in production with Houdini…

and it wouldn't be too difficult to write a python node to read an mtl and spit out a bunch of materials based on the descriptions in the mtl file - but the materials you get will be pretty basic…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
12 posts
arctor
as usful as obj/mtl is as a utility file format it really isn't widely used in production with Houdini…

Yes it looks like they don't give to much attention at that issue since a long time.

arctor
and it wouldn't be too difficult to write a python node to read an mtl and spit out a bunch of materials based on the descriptions in the mtl file - but the materials you get will be pretty basic…

Unfortunately I'm not a programmer if someone can do that utility for exporting obj/mtl in a basic level it will be nice also.

But I repeat for those who can't afford paying a full license like me (I have apprentice HD)I will be rather happy to render my images directly into the Octane renderer which is dealing with obj/mtl.
345 posts
This is a quick and dirt way to create mtl files based on the primitive groups in your geometry. Use the supplied file naming convention (.$F.obj) or otherwise it won't work.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6454372/temp/OutputMtl.otl [dl.dropbox.com]
12 posts
kuba
This is a quick and dirt way to create mtl files based on the primitive groups in your geometry. Use the supplied file naming convention (.$F.obj) or otherwise it won't work.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6454372/temp/OutputMtl.otl [dl.dropbox.com]

Thank you for your otl.
I will definitively have a try.
120 posts
Hello Kuba, i tried your plugin, but he don't work…
When i open my file into octane, i have always 1 material on my .obj.
have you an idea why?
thank you very much..

See you

i nommed my file:
test.$F.obj it's right?
345 posts
I don't have an access to octane anymore. Try test_$F4.obj instead.
120 posts
hello, thank you..
no, i tried this solution and other solution and always nothing..

anyone have this problem?

What i make false??

thanks a lot for your help
8 posts
Hi,
I created a little obj and mtl importer for Houdini, Objilla. It creates materials, assigns colors, textures, transparency, supports multi-material obj import and multiple obj import. Hope you will find it useful.
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/70201/ [www.sidefx.com]
  • Quick Links