New imac 5k, macbook pro and houdini

3298   4   0
1 posts
Hi!

Actually i want to upgrade my computer to do my personal projects in houdini.

So i have 3 options.

Actually i have this workstation:

i7 3770k
32gb ram ddr3 1600
gtx 680

And i want upgrade to this:

Imac retina 5k i7 4ghz, 32gb ram, and amd m395

Or stay with my machine for simulation and render and buy this macbook pro:

i7 2,6ghz, 16gb ram and amd m370

Or finally buy another windows workstation by components (probably the best choice) with i7 6700k, 64gb ram, gtx 980 etc….

But i have a bigger discount buying a mac product so i'm thinking in buy a imac or macbook pro; but when i go to this link:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2680&Itemid=390 [sidefx.com]

i cant see the support of houdini to the new amd graphics cards of the macs. Houdini works in the new macs? or we have to wait to new updates.

Regards
7 posts
I've got an Imac 5k i7 4ghz with AMD M295X, so I only speak for this model.

The gfx card is not supported due to buggy OpenGL drivers in OSX. Though they might have been fixed in El Capitan 10.11.2 - I don't know yet, waiting for a response from Twod. See post; https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=191994#191994 [sidefx.com]

If you download the latest H15 daily build, Houdini crashes only sometimes now. The viewport is slow and becomes unusable with 100k> points.

Fingers crossed that the driver is fixed and multisampling will be re-enabled soon!
175 posts
I just replaced my Windows PC (GTX980) with the Late 2015 iMac. My current configuration uses El Capitan 10.11.2, 4Ghz i7 32 GB Ram, and 4GB AMD R9 M395X. So far I haven't seen any bugs/glitches with Houdini Apprentice. I will keep testing and report if I find anything bogus. But so far so good and I am really happy. The machine is very fast and silent, it doesn't have the heat problems the previous generation had, it doesn't throttle the CPU under sustained heavy load. And the screen is incredible. Color gamut of this new panel covers P3, once you work with this screen I don't know if it's possible to go back to a standard monitor
Hope this helps.
258 posts
imho, only reason for you to upgrade from what you already have should be 64gb or more ram,
Head of CG @ MPC
CG Supervisor/ Sr. FX TD /
https://gumroad.com/timvfx [gumroad.com]
www.timucinozger.com
379 posts
tinyparticle
I just replaced my Windows PC (GTX980) with the Late 2015 iMac. My current configuration uses El Capitan 10.11.2, 4Ghz i7 32 GB Ram, and 4GB AMD R9 M395X. So far I haven't seen any bugs/glitches with Houdini Apprentice. I will keep testing and report if I find anything bogus. But so far so good and I am really happy. The machine is very fast and silent, it doesn't have the heat problems the previous generation had, it doesn't throttle the CPU under sustained heavy load. And the screen is incredible. Color gamut of this new panel covers P3, once you work with this screen I don't know if it's possible to go back to a standard monitor
Hope this helps.

What was the price of that iMac? You can send me that to PM if you like. Thanks!
  • Quick Links