Render Problem

3440   12   0
21 posts
Hi

I am rendering a very basic scene but get dark areas as you can see in the render. I also get an error that says “Unknown operator type: Object/geo”

Does anyone know why this is and how to fix it ?

I have an Env light and an Area light.

Thanks

N

Attachments:
Render1.jpg (102.2 KB)

57 posts
Can't really tell what you mean by “Dark Area” since mostly are shadows. But if it's faces problem, you can try using a / SOP and see if it helps.
Just a student learning Houdini
21 posts
Hi

I used Edgecusp nodes to get rid of the black areas as you can see in the second render. The problem is now that I have facetted faces where some of the geometry is meant to be smooth.

Attachments:
Render2.jpg (76.8 KB)

57 posts
If that's the case. What I would do is just simply select the primitive that I want to smooth and it together, then use a / to smooth it.
Just a student learning Houdini
379 posts
Did you import that geometry?

Obviously you have problems with normals. Remove cusp and try to add Normal SOP.
21 posts
Hi

Thanks, adding the normal node did the trick although some needed the cusp angle to be reduced to get the desired effect.

I really don't know why this happened because the geometry is very basic and all of it has been created from a box or a grid. Some of the geometry is just boxes with no additional nodes - they needed a normal node to be added for it to render properly.

N
21 posts
Is there a way to create geometry so that I don't have to apply a normal node ?
379 posts
Can you share you geometry?

Yes it is possible.
21 posts
Hi, the hip file is attached.

Attachments:
REMme1_058hip.zip (943.2 KB)

379 posts
I think it this case you will have to use Normal as everything is low poly.
21 posts
Thanks for having a look.

So, if my geometry is low poly what would you regard as an appropriate poly count for the geo to render correctly ?

I have some boxes that represent buildings in the distance and they have 12x12x6 divisions, they also needed a normal node for them to render correctly.

The only thing I can think of is that I have not done something correctly at some point.
379 posts
Using normal node is not wrong thing, it is great that you have it so low poly models could look right without you having to add more geometry.

Usually if you subd (add subdivision sop) model you do not need normal sop. But why would you subd your model if you do not need it.

Also normal sop is great if you want to export your model, so other app reads these normal same as H.
21 posts
I really appreciate your help, thanks very much !
  • Quick Links