Import NetCDF (.nc) file?

2319   1   1
52 posts
I would like to import a NetCDF file. In a post from 2013, a novice user said they installed the netcdf part of the geo plugin and that was easy.

I cannot find any other reference to using a file sop to import a .nc file.

Currently, I am thinking of using a program to convert my nc files to excel and then exporting from excel to csv, so I can use table import to load the data files.

There are lots of attributes in the nc rectilinear grid file that I need to add to points and then convert to a volume.

Any suggestions?
Brad Carvey
1390 posts
There seems to be Python package [unidata.github.io] which might be your best option without diving into C++.

Houdini Python module inside PythonSOP allows you to create volume primitive via hou.Gometry.createVolume(), which further on allows you to set all voxels value via setAllVoxelsFromString(). You can feed it with binary string taken from numpy array, which - from a brief look into docs - can be provided by netcdf4-python.

Also Houdini used to support HDF5 format, which is currently standard container for netcdf files. Not sure how it'd behave on trying to import it directly though.

I'm not sure what kind of data you're trying to use, but Excel might be little intimidated with volume of data typical for HDF5 files…
Edited by symek - 2017年9月8日 17:43:43
  • Quick Links