Using .OBJ files and .mtl files

6557   4   2
350 posts
Hi

Trying to use some .obj files downloaded from Turbosquid.

They also come with .mtl and .xfr files.

After importing the .obj using a File SOP, how do you import and apply the materials?
833 posts
I have personally found that it's easier for me to create a new Mantra or Redshift material and re-apply it manually rather that try to figure out how to get Houdini to utilize the .mtl file. But I am curious to see if someone else has a better solution.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
655 posts
I would love to see the exact same approach as Keyshot… truly drag and drop integrated to their shader tech rather than doing a hack… It is so effective!!!
98 posts
art3mis
Hi

Trying to use some .obj files downloaded from Turbosquid.

They also come with .mtl and .xfr files.

After importing the .obj using a File SOP, how do you import and apply the materials?

Material assignment, including multiple materials, should be readable as shop_materialpath attribute. You can checkout by MMB over File SOP, is there an attribute. In spreadshit (RMB for menu) you can see the name. In case of Maya obj export, that's name of shading group, something like /shop/phong2SG or like. That means, if there is material in SHOP network called phong2SG, it is assigned to every polygon in scene, having attribute with same name. For using MAT network instead, attribute should be renamed to something like /mat/phong2SG.
All what I said is only about assignment, considering re-building the material in H. Anyway, it makes possible to do assignments to polygons in other 3d and do automatic update in H, by reloading node or scene.
8 posts
Hi,
I created a little obj and mtl importer for Houdini, Objilla. It creates materials, assigns colors, textures, transparency, supports multi-material obj import and multiple obj import. Hope you will find it useful.
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/70201/ [www.sidefx.com]
  • Quick Links