Problem with Lighting tutorial

6621   7   1
7024 posts
Hi,
The lighting tutorial is nice, but it has a fatal flaw The 8mm film reels are too thick! The Bolex is an 8mm camera, and the reels' spindle holes are correct for an 8mm reel, but proportionally, the reel looks like it's 16mm or so. The film needs to be thinner!
It is very hard to do the tutorial with such glaring problems.

Cheers,

Peter B

(p.s. I'm totally joking about being hard to do the tutorial in case someone misses that)

(p.p.s the film on the reels really is too wide)
509 posts
ahahahhahahaahhh

sorry .. i coulnt resist after a long and hard day .. this is a great post to read keep on it pbowmar

cheers
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
7024 posts
I do what I can to entertain )
304 posts
I agree. Let´s hope this essential problem gets fixed for Houdini´s next version. Otherwise we´ll have to look for alternative packages…probably something from Microsoft
Javier Meroño
FX TD.
スタッフ
1182 posts
Peter,

You are correct. The reel is 16 mm thick. When we composed the shot we actually wanted the reel to be 8mm but when we chose the Bolex D8L camera as our reference then the proper film stock needed to be double Super 8mm which comes out to 16mm.

The one error we did make was to put perforations on only one side of the film since double 8 has perforations on both.

Here is a web site with some info on this format:

http://member.melbpc.org.au/~cksm/Formats.html [member.melbpc.org.au]

Here is some info on the Bolex D8L:

http://www.sci.fi/~animato/filmhist/filmhist.html [sci.fi]
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
7024 posts
Ah, OK, it's Double8, fair enough! You're right, it would be 16mm then, I sit corrected. )

So, yes, I'll change the bug report to only a single set of perfs )

Cheers,

Peter B
7024 posts
Hang on!! Those are projection reels, not camera loads, so they should be 8mm wide, Regular 8 was only 16mm wide in camera, it got split at the lab before you projected it.

So, the perfs are correct, the width is wrong )

Whew, thank God my Film degree is still relevant. )

Cheers,

Peter B
スタッフ
1182 posts
Good point. Luckily the reels are digital assets so they will be easy enough to fix.

Robert
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
  • Quick Links