Manage Groom Merge groups inside Hair Generate

1851   1   2
55 posts
Hi,

I have multiple Guide Grooms that are merged with Groom Merge node (Create Groups is on). This node is plugged to a single Hair Generate. Inside the Hair Generate I want to manage each guide group differently, for example a clump node that only affects a certain group. Is there a way to do that at all? Is it even possible to access the guide groups made by Groom Merge inside Hair Generate?
I'm quite new to Houdini so I'm still figuring things out. If that's not possible, I guess the only way is to add a Hair Generate for each Guide Groom, right?

Thanks
VFX Supervisor | CG Artist

http://yasinhasanian.com/ [yasinhasanian.com]
407 posts
Hi,

I'm running into a similar problem where I want to merge several grooms without the blending you get with "groom merge". Would be great to have some kind control for the way the grooms are merged, like a slider for the blend maybe, or a way to disable the blending so I can have multiple grooms that don't influence each other.

What I'd like is a single "Hair Generate" or at least a single "Guide Deform" with multiple Hair Grooms. Imagine a furry animal that has differently styled hair "wigs" on top of the fur that is all over the body.

But since the "Groom Merge" also blends the separate grooms, and the "Clumping" is controlled by the "Hair Generate" and doesn't have a way to separate clumping per groom, it looks like the only way to solve this is to actually create a "Hair Generate" and "Guide Deform" with multiple Cache files for every Groom.

So I guess my question is; did you find a solution for this, or maybe someone else did ?

Thanks,

R.
  • Quick Links