Constrain glued geo to multiple animated geo pieces

667   1   0
6 posts
Hi!

Today I ran into constraint issues. What I need is a piece of glued geometry to be connected to the ground beneath it, while the ground tears apart. With the ground tearing apart, the object needs to tear apart, too.

My thought: Fracture the geo, glue the geo, and glue the geo to the ground. Make the ground glue constraints so strong that they won't rip apart.

The test setup are two boxes as “ground”, and a box as bridge between them. Glue constraints hold it all together. They work well for one animated box they are glued to, as you can see in the end of the hip file's animation. But they don't work as expected for the second animated box. How to make the glued geometry stick to two animated pieces of geo - not just one? The second one fails miserably, somehow hovering in the air.
Maybe a different approach? I thought about vellum, but it's not made for rigid bodies. I also thought about RBD constraints. But so far I didn't find a solution.

Ideas on this?

Perhaps this matters, too: In the end, the animated geo will consist of bgeo or alembic files.

Thanks for your time

Attachments:
constrain_to_multiple_anim_problem.hipnc (279.3 KB)

6 posts
Seems like nobody's got an idea or topic is not of interest; I still want to keep you guys updated. I'll try simulating the animated geo instead of animating it. It will boost the sim time, but maybe I can art direct the simulation enough so in the end, it looks like the animation I first imported as existing bgeo. My actual scene is a largish destruction scene.
  • Quick Links