Filling and closing holes on volumetric capture

3167   4   1
47 posts
Hey everyone,

I am working on cleaning volumetric capture data, one of the biggest issues right now is filling the holes. Sometimes there are holes in the generated mesh itself. Or i have to clean up geometry that wasn't supposed to be included in the mesh to begin with, when I remove these I still have a hole that has to be filled in the right way and with the right colors. Getting the right colors will be a challenge for another time, but does anyone here have experience with volumetric capture? If not I would like to know any and all model cleaning SOPs and tools that might be able to help me out.
Windows 7| 24 GB RAM DDR3| AMD Athlon X4 760K Quad Core Processor 3,8 Ghz | Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
31 posts
Have you tried MeshLab or MeshRoom for this stuff? Both are free.. Also you can try to use the tools from AliceVision integrated with Houdini's game tools.

Big holes are difficult to close. You have to manually take care of them by creating/deleting geometry in this area. You can use VDB to convert a point cloud into a mesh. And you can easily get rid of noise by running VDBSmooth followed by a VDB Dilate.
Here is an example:
Edited by rpopovici - 2019年5月17日 08:46:21

Attachments:
pointcloud2mesh.hipnc (228.7 KB)

31 posts
If you already have the mesh with holes, you can try to use PolyFill SOP
31 posts
As for color filling, you can use attribute transfer SOP. It will automatically fill the area which has no correspondence to the original mesh.
Like this:

Attachments:
pointcloud2mesh2.hipnc (547.6 KB)

47 posts
Thanks, I have tried the attribute transfers a lot. But when I fuse it again the whites return. Thanks for your tips I'm gonna check em out
Windows 7| 24 GB RAM DDR3| AMD Athlon X4 760K Quad Core Processor 3,8 Ghz | Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
  • Quick Links