RBD Material Fracture Wood Issue

   2526   7   1
User Avatar
Member
4 posts
Joined: 12月 2017
Offline
Hi there,

I have just started messing around with the RBD Material Fracture to fracture a wooden structure, and I am getting these very odd extra geometry both in the 1st output and the proxy geometry output (It seems like the geometry used to make the splinters).

I am just wondering if this is a bug or did I not setup the geometry correctly before the fracturing?

Thanks in advance.
Edited by erhardiazz - 2019年5月29日 22:18:49

Attachments:
rbdMaterialIssue.hipnc (652.5 KB)
screenCaptureIssue.PNG (1.5 MB)

User Avatar
Member
592 posts
Joined: 12月 2006
Offline
I tried your file… however the locked Object Merge sop comes in with no geo so the boolean does nothing. (Maybe try a stash SOP instead?)

When I ran it through the RBD MF node, it worked fine though. I did put a clean node just before it though to remove all the attributes, but even without this it worked.

I have found with booleans though that sometimes you get extrusions or surfaces that are not manifold, (water-tight). So it might help to put a polyfill on just to make sure all non-manifold geo is capped.
Sean Lewkiw
Lost Boys Montreal
User Avatar
Member
4 posts
Joined: 12月 2017
Offline
Hi, thanks for replying and also the tips on booleans.

I have a revised version, with the stash sop and clean sop and polyfill sops, but it still seems to give me the same error.
I am almost certain now that the extra geometry is the splinter cutting planes.

Again, any help or tips will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
rbdMaterialIssue_2.hipnc (692.1 KB)

User Avatar
Member
592 posts
Joined: 12月 2006
Offline
Hi, I added a polycap and a fuse and it works now. It is also a lot faster. I have also put a divide SOP in there which sometimes helps if the above does not, (it is bypassed but you can see what it's doing).

I often use the blast/exploded view workflow to isolate troubling bits to help debug. When exploded, you could clearly see some of your booleans were uncapped. One problem will be that those extra polys added by the boolean will not have a name attribute if you have pre-calculated names, (but in your case you have not).

Sean

Attachments:
rbdMaterialIssue_3.hipnc (718.7 KB)

Sean Lewkiw
Lost Boys Montreal
User Avatar
Member
4 posts
Joined: 9月 2018
Online
Hi, I have done everything as mentioned above but still no success.. mesh is also fine as PolyFill is giving a warning mentioning that there is nothing to fill. Earhardiaz is right about those extra geometries to be splinter cutting planes.
User Avatar
Member
6 posts
Joined: 7月 2015
Offline
I had the same kind of problems, for me it comes from a ‘clean’ SOP, with manyfold-only topology checked. Unchecking this seems to solve the problem.

Cheers

Yann
Cheers,

Yann

User Avatar
Member
592 posts
Joined: 12月 2006
Offline
I find the following often helps, (try one or more in various combinations):

  • reverse sop
  • divide sop to bricker
  • divide sop to triangulate after bricker
  • polycap
  • fuse
  • clean (as described above post)
  • in the RBD Material fracture node, toggle: Detail -> detriangulate -> only unchanged polys
Sean Lewkiw
Lost Boys Montreal
User Avatar
Member
2 posts
Joined: 6月 2017
Offline
Hi, I was wondering if anymore insight has gained regarding this matter. I’ve tried all of the above but can’t get rid of the splinter geometry.
  • Quick Links