Having trouble sweeping curves properly, please help.

1436   3   0
109 posts
I have some arches that I want to put trim on so I isolated those edges and am trying to sweep a profile along it but I get really unstable results. I can't seem to get the miters to not be open, and there are duplicates of the profile appearing on my curve. I've tried the game dev curve sweep but that isn't any better. I went in and tried changing some of the internals but still can't get it to work.

For the backbone so far I have the normals pointing along the curve but the points at the corner arent “halfway” between the neighboring points.

This is really hard to do for some reason.

Attachments:
sweep1.PNG (485.4 KB)

109 posts
I was able to figure it out by scaling the backbone curve down a bit and then feeding that into the 3rd input of the sweep node. Then, to get the topology around the miter to conform, I checked “aim at reference points” to get the edges arranged properly. Then I used a clip node to remove the straight section because I don't want those points out of alignment and then just transformed the straight part to replace the clipped section.

Hope this helps someone!
Edited by decksounds - 2019年8月16日 22:52:30

Attachments:
SWEEP_2.PNG (358.4 KB)

40 posts
Nice that you found workarounds. btw, was the path one unified primitive, or more than one? The latter was just what brought similar issues for my own sweepsm before. IIRC.
109 posts
I pulled the curve from existing geo so there was some funkiness in the point order, so I used a sort sop to fix that as well as a join. You are definitely right, I get better results from single curves that aren't pieced together like this. It would be nice to know how to properly do that and get good results.
  • Quick Links