Best Linux Distribution for Houdini 17

9411   13   2
42 posts
hello guys
what's best linux distribution for houdini ?
I have experience in linux

mx linux , pop-os , kde neon , zorin os , kubuntu , ubuntu , mint

which is ?

I don't like rpm packages
like centos , fedora , opensuse
in visual fx home artist

thanks your help
2035 posts
I don't have any recommendations as I really couldn't say.

But maybe my blurb on what I am planning might help in your decision making.

And maybe reading others opinions might change my mind too

When I finally get to build a new pc box I am planning on going with RHEL.

I believe since it's basically what Centos is based off, it might automatically be off your list (both rpms?)

The reason for me to go with RHEL is it's only (last I checked $50 per year) but you get access to support.

Yet I know there is likely good info I could get through Centos forums for any possible issue;

I'm trying to keep my time getting up to ‘speed’ and/or resolving issues to a minimum when I switch over to using Houdini on Linux.

I've used LFS and Zenwalk in the past and am used to tinkering around…but it's been too long, and rather take more time getting back in the saddle and keep more focus on using Houdini.

I figure with RHEL, if I have an issue I have both access to their support and can also if need be tap into RHEL and Centos forums for clues for possible issues too.
527 posts
If it's just Houdini or Foundry products. KDE neon is pretty sweet. Modern Linux distribution with the latest greatest KDE desktop environment on stable Ubuntu base. Super easy to install and deal with hardware.

If you want to run Autodesk software, renderman, resolve etc you need a rpm based distro. Modern one would be openSuse. But the industry standard is crusty not friendly CentOS.
soho vfx
603 posts
I went down this path myself and settled on Ubuntu as it had the least amount of issues among the distros I tried.

There are pain points with all of the distros, but the increase in speed, and better RAM/VRAM usage is worth it.

It's a bit involved, I think, to get up and running, and I still dont have all my hardware drivers loaded under Linux.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
28 posts
So many 3d software developers use CentOS as the framework for their linux releases that I simply followed to avoid any headaches.

A long time ago at Digital Domain we had Debian as the standard linux for the whole facility but there came a point where doing all the rpm to deb conversions became silly.

The good news here though is that SideFX makes Deb based builds as well as Rpm so it doesn't matter what you pick.

The trick starts when you start using 3rd party render engines which may not have deb options.
Maybe Redshift does though, not sure.
527 posts
Dev's from sidefx and foundry have a script based installs which installs correctly for what ever the distro that you are using. They don't use the package manager.

Some companies like Autodesk and others ship installs that use the package manager for the said linux style distribution. So if you are just using Houdni you can use pretty much any linux distro that tickles your fancy.
soho vfx
7 posts
I've been running pop!_os for little over 8 months and I wouldn't use any other OS unless I had to.
17 posts
I run Houdini on Linux for 8 years now. I used Arch Linux for most of the time, but gave up last year due to difficulties with AMD drivers. I've settled now on Ubuntu (running 16.04), but I use the “Mini ISO” distribution, since i don't use most of what is packaged with the default version. I use i3-wm as my graphic interface.
19 posts
As mentioned, Houdini works everywhere without big issues, sometimes you just need to install library or two.
It's more about the other software, GPU drivers and how much time are you willing to spend in the terminal.
Here are my 5 cents:

PopOS! (Based on Ubuntu, most applies for both)
+ it just works, as workstation but also as general “home” pc, movies, web, etc..
+ nvidia/amd drivers out of the box
+ non-free codecs for video etc
- deb based, so stuff shipped RPM packages (Renderman, Substance, Maya?) have to be converted by alien, and missing libraries linked/installed
- not supported by most software developers

Clear Linux
+ best performance, optimized for intel hardware but apparently AMD CPUs benefit too
+ pretty, slick, not bloated
+ installs RPMs fine
+ clean gnome
+ flatpak
- manual GPU driver install (although there are some user scripts online)
- new distro, not much documentation, some stuff requires more linux expertise
- not supported by software developers
- have to install non-free codecs to play some video files etc

Fedora
+ RPM based
+ easy GPU drivers installation via RPM fusion
+ development linked to CentOS, some stuff is newer/different but you are closer to official supported distro, without having ancient OS
+flatpak
+clean gnome
-still need to link/install libraries to get some software to work, not a biggie
-have to install non-free codecs to play some video files etc

“PRO” tip:
A lot of people miss photoshop, if you don't need all the fancy features, but, like me, you can't stand Gimp try Pixeluvo:
http://www.pixeluvo.com/features/ [www.pixeluvo.com] - Unknown, but cheap, slick, works, same shortcuts like PS
17 posts
As an alternative to Photoshop, I use Krita. It is where I do all of my digital painting. I can't comment on pixeluvo, but I will certainly check it out.
41 posts
My experience linux distro was not good with rpm ,Reverse ubuntu 8 years in maya no crash,I'm new user Houdini,I don't know How is Working If you have large scene,Also you can install the foundry ,substance…etc
17 posts
My experience is that Linux handles larger scenes better than Windows, specially for rendering. I rarely have to do simulations, so I can't comment on that.
88 posts
I’m unable to install Houdini on clearlinux,
when I try to run houdini-bin I get the error
unmap_chunk(): invalid pointer

And when i try to create the license server i get
Error while processing installation options: Could not figure out where to place init scripts

log:
Houdini Launcher 19.0.498 (gcc 9.3.1)
Command: "/opt/sidefx/launcher/19.0.498/bin/houdini_installer" "install" "License Server" "--version" "19.0.498" "--platform" "linux_x86_64_gcc9.3" "--build-option" "" "--installdir" "/usr/lib/sesi" "--strict" "--accept-EULA" "SideFX-2021-10-13" "--session-id" "hcan884fc5mpxbar9h22a3kpxxv1ijji"
[15:05:15 Info] Preparing to install
[15:05:16 Error] Error while processing installation options: Could not figure out where to place init scripts

creating the /usr/lib/sesi directory did not fix anything
Edited by TangheStudent - 2022年2月6日 09:07:21
42 posts
clear linux not recommend , i tried before, you can install ubuntu based distro or ubuntu itself, pretty easy to setup, if you are in linux experienced install rocky linux , rockylinux is replacement of centos
and developed by centos founders
( stable , fast , based on rhel 8 )
i've been using rockylinux 8.5 for 6 months and i have no problem with it
it's was only a suggestion
finally it's you are choosing which linux good for you
good luck
sorry i couldn't help you
  • Quick Links