How to get Arnold to work in solaris (to showup)

7205   9   3
642 posts
Hi. I have the most recent version of both Houdini and Arnold.

Hi. I cannot get Arnold to show at all in Solaris.
I am using packages in Houdini rather than the env file.

Edit: OK i have got it working. For anyone else who need to get it working this is what my JSON package file looks like to get it working. I was missing the “PXR_PLUGINPATH_NAME” before.

{
“env”:[

{
“PATH” : “C:/Docs/houdini18.0/plugins/HtoA/htoa-5.0.0_rcd870fd_houdini-18.0.287/scripts/bin”,
},
{
“HOUDINI_PATH”:“C:/Docs/houdini18.0/plugins/HtoA/htoa-5.0.0_rcd870fd_houdini-18.0.287”
},
{
“PXR_PLUGINPATH_NAME”:“C:/Docs/houdini18.0/plugins/HtoA/htoa-5.0.0_rcd870fd_houdini-18.0.287/hydra”
}
]
}
Edited by Mark Wallman - 2019年12月22日 11:56:42
7 posts
One more step you probably need: https://github.com/Autodesk/arnold-usd [github.com]
642 posts
Hi Lei

Thanks. Have you got this to work? I was expecting to install Arnold and it to work. I have not found anything when you download Arnold telling you you have to compile extra things just to get it to work (I could be wrong). I have no way of compiling things myself. Best

Mark
スタッフ
4159 posts
The HtoA installer has the USD components included; you can see $PXR_PLUGINPATH_NAME in the instructions [docs.arnoldrenderer.com]. Was excited to see how the USD/Solaris integration compares to other renderers, but getting a trial license to even work on Mint (Ubuntu) has been… fun
I'm o.d.d.
603 posts
goldleaf
…but getting a trial license to even work on Mint (Ubuntu) has been… fun

I never got it to work on Ubuntu 19, I figured it just didnt work on Linux. I can do a ROP render, but the Delegate would never load.

Did you ever got the Arnold Delegate to work?
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
7737 posts
Daryl Dunlap
goldleaf
…but getting a trial license to even work on Mint (Ubuntu) has been… fun

I never got it to work on Ubuntu 19, I figured it just didnt work on Linux. I can do a ROP render, but the Delegate would never load.

Did you ever got the Arnold Delegate to work?

The git repo has a note about requiring LD preload for usdview on Linux. Perhaps there is a similar condition for Houdini Hydra?
642 posts
Hi. I am on windows 10 and actually have it loaded in Solaris using this JSON file I made below. It still does not render though. Apart from the SideFX launch presentation I have not found anyone who has actually got it to work yet. All my render settings are blank. In the Arnold forum someone else has reported the same thing. None of the help files say anything about getting started in Solaris at all. (arnold link) https://answers.arnoldrenderer.com/questions/22071/arnold-6-with-houdini18-solaris.html [answers.arnoldrenderer.com]

best
Mark

{
“env”:[
{
“ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE” : “**************”
},
{
“PATH” : “C:/Docs/houdini18.0/plugins/HtoA/htoa-5.0.0_rcd870fd_houdini-18.0.287/scripts/bin”,
},
{
“HOUDINI_PATH”:“C:/Docs/houdini18.0/plugins/HtoA/htoa-5.0.0_rcd870fd_houdini-18.0.287”
},
{
“PXR_PLUGINPATH_NAME”:“C:/Docs/houdini18.0/plugins/HtoA/htoa-5.0.0_rcd870fd_houdini-18.0.287/hydra”
}
]
}
Edited by Mark Wallman - 2019年12月23日 13:21:42

Attachments:
Capture.JPG (60.4 KB)

31 posts
the missing render settings is a current feature like a missing renderview in Lops. you can play in live render viewport but otherwise Lops rendering with any renderer is pretty much useless. for now, Lops is only good for layout and USD file creation. let's hope, houdini18.5 will get some solid render tools.
Edited by schwungsau - 2019年12月27日 20:40:02
—————–
Heribert

+heribertraab.com
603 posts
RM23 is the reference implementation for LOPs, not Karma.

I haven't played with RM23 yet, but that'd be the Delegate I'd use for Final Rendering right now, Redshift3D being a close second.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
1 posts
can someone tell me what the advantage of using arnold with solaris is? many thx
  • Quick Links