new Group node does not automatically contain selected faces

1871   2   0
3 posts
Hello!

I have a sphere, and I'm trying to create a group from the primitives of the top hemisphere.

I'm at 3:20 in this tutorial:

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/solaris-and-lops/?collection=66 [www.sidefx.com]

I have my sphere, I press 4, select the primitives, and then create a group node.

Although my faces are selected, when I create the group node the “base group” field is blank and my selection disappears. It is not automatically filled with the primitive numbers that I had selected.

Whereas in the video: Rohan selects the faces, and when he creates the Group node, the “base group” field is automatically filled in with his selected faces.

I am able to group the faces together manually using the arrow next to “base group” however. In the past, I believe it has been automatically filling in my selected points. This is the first time I'm noticing it fail to do this.

If anyone knows why the Group node does not automatically group my selected faces upon creation, and why my selection is disappearing after I create the group node, I'd be really curious to know.

Thank you very much!
171 posts
try to just press Enter on the Group in Tab menu in the viewport when primitives are selected
or
when primitives are selected - under the viewport > Visibility > Show Only Selected Primitives - this will automagically create visibility node in your network with these primitives
add after that group node and copy primitives to the group Base
delete visibility node
or
for selecting higher half of the sphere - in the group node > Keep by Normals > y = 1 and Spread Angle 90
or
yes as you do select with picker near Group Base

noticed it sometimes too, though not aware why that's happening
Edited by RyuKu - 2020年1月20日 19:22:03
3 posts
ryuku
try to just press Enter on the Group in Tab menu in the viewport when primitives are selected
or
when primitives are selected - under the viewport > Visibility > Show Only Selected Primitives - this will automagically create visibility node in your network with these primitives
add after that group node and copy primitives to the group Base
delete visibility node
or
for selecting higher half of the sphere - in the group node > Keep by Normals > y = 1 and Spread Angle 90
or
yes as you do select with picker near Group Base

noticed it sometimes too, though not aware why that's happening

Thanks a lot!!!
  • Quick Links