Setting attributes in UE4 for use by HDA?

3766   6   1
42 posts
Hi, I'm trying to set up a curve based system in UE4. I'm using a spline blueprint in UE4 to create the splines and selecting them in world outliner - as potentially there may be many splines. I'd really like to control the amount of bevel on each spline point as an attribute but not sure on the best way to do this.

The spline controls are global but what i really want is to be able to set them up per point on the spline. Setting them to use the UE4 spline and then resample them follows the curves nicer but gives undesirable results on 90 degree turns. Setting them to resolution 0 give a nice result on 90 degrees but loses the ability to do nice curves!

I guess I'm asking what's the best way to set this up so i have more control over these things. Can I set up attribute on the spline points in UE4 that Houdini can read?

Any ideas would be welcome
Edited by Aten - 2020年7月4日 17:46:42

Attachments:
GB8XSiXIwx_1.jpg (150.7 KB)
2nXMD1BlVb_1.jpg (176.4 KB)

900 posts
Have you eventually found a solution?

I'm kind in the same boat as I'm driving a sweep node from UE4 spline and I'd like to control the width of the sweep..
So I need to find some way to set a float value for each spline point that the HDA should interpret as pscale.

On workaround could be to use the @P.y of each spline point to drive whatever float attribute you need in Houdini…
Not super practical and not suitable for every case…
Edited by Andr - 2020年8月21日 18:44:40
54 posts
Hey @Aten and @Andr,

Why wouldn't you use scale attribute? Fortunately, Houdini engine gets information about per point(CV) scale. The attribute is called scale. You can use that to drive whatever you want.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Cheers,

Attachments:
Curve_width_before.PNG (680.5 KB)
Curve_width_after.PNG (685.8 KB)

42 posts
Good idea! I put this down for a while but will attempt to pick it up and try this method, will post results - cheers!
2 posts
Hello @hektor.

Could you share your curve scale test?
I have been trying to get this to work with a sweep sop but not sure how to use the attribute “scale” from Unreal splines.

Thanks!
1 posts
Andr
Have you eventually found a solution?

I'm kind in the same boat as I'm driving a sweep node from UE4 spline and I'd like to control the width of the sweep..
So I need to find some way to set a float value for each spline point that the HDA should interpret as pscale.

On workaround could be to use the @P.y of each spline point to drive whatever float attribute you need in Houdini…
Not super practical and not suitable for every case…

can you give this hda Rotation and Scale Attributes in curve
54 posts
Here is the HDA

Attachments:
curve_scale_test.hdalc (4.6 KB)

• Quick Links