Image Magick error when creating montage

2686   4   2
22 posts
Hello,

My imagemagick is constantly failing to create a montage of my wedge renders.

It was never giving me an issue before but for some reason it's failing on me now .

I have about 200 renders that i'm trying to create a montage out of. The only thing I can think of is that maybe its way to many renders for it to create a montage out of. Could this be the case?

Imagemagick is correctly installed.

I will attach a screenshot of the problem.

Thank you

Attachments:
pdg_imagemagik_error.jpg (218.2 KB)

72 posts
Do you have 216 variations over 240 frames, total of 51840 images?
If so then Montage is trying to make 1 single image of the 216 wedges (I guess?) for that frame.
But it doesn't do any rescaling, just concatenating. So depending on the size of the input image the resulting image can easily be way to big to process. So how big are the PNG's? You could insert another imagemagik to rescale first and then make the montage.
Also on the bottom of the debug window it should say log. If you click on it maybe there's a clue what's going on.
22 posts
Johan Boekhoven
Do you have 216 variations over 240 frames, total of 51840 images?
yes, this is correct.

Johan Boekhoven
But it doesn't do any rescaling, just concatenating. So depending on the size of the input image the resulting image can easily be way to big to process. So how big are the PNG's? You could insert another imagemagik to rescale first and then make the montage.

I rendered each variation at 1280 x 720 that I set in the open gl render settings. Would this be to big? The image Magick top does not give me any settings to set the resolution of the final montage. Is there something else I can use to do this ?

Johan Boekhoven
Also on the bottom of the debug window it should say log. If you click on it maybe there's a clue what's going on.

I didn't know this. I will know better next time. I ended up deleting those files on disk to try a few new things. No luck yet .

Thanks for the reply.
72 posts
Here's how I've solved it in one of my flows.

So scale all images and then partition the scaled images and then delete the temp scaled images afterwards.
Looking at the nr. of images and resolution it calculates to a whole lot of pixels.
216 is like 11 rows and 21 colums of images:
width = 21 * 1280 = 45780 px
height: 11 x 720 = 7920 px
total of 362,577,600 px or ~ 363 MP!
Imagemagik has a limit of 100MP by default, without tweaking any settings. (Settings [imagemagick.org]

It's a super high res. image. Maybe just render way smaller frames
Also there's an option to change the command and just source the web for whatever you need.

Good luck!

Attachments:
scale_and_mosaic.jpg (54.8 KB)

22 posts
Makes a lot more sense now. I will try this . Thank you Johan!
  • Quick Links