Configuring file sequences on a layer

1887   8   1
260 posts
Hi,

I´m rendering a crowd sim with Karma, and usually I create the configure layers pointing to the right locations so I can bake the usd to the disk and then render It using PDG.
The problem arises when using a sequence of .usd in the layer configure LOP. Is It possible to do this kind of workflow or do I have to bake the sequence on disk, create another single .usd with “stitch clips” and sublayer It in the stage?
7737 posts
Sequences have to be combined with usd stitch clips or with a valueclip prim.
260 posts
jsmack
Hi jsmack, thanks for the reply. But can´t I do that in the same LOP network, right? (so Solaris would and up creating all the necessary dependencies when generating the resulting usd file)
In my understanding, I need to do that manually, and then get the stitched usd back to LOPs, right?
7737 posts
guilhermecasagrandi
jsmack
Hi jsmack, thanks for the reply. But can´t I do that in the same LOP network, right? (so Solaris would and up creating all the necessary dependencies when generating the resulting usd file)
In my understanding, I need to do that manually, and then get the stitched usd back to LOPs, right?

Correct, it has to be a two-step process. Mark, maybe you can clarify? Value clips are a dark art that eludes my understanding.
260 posts
jsmack
guilhermecasagrandi
jsmack

Correct, it has to be a two-step process. Mark, maybe you can clarify? Value clips are a dark art that eludes my understanding.

The (two step) process is ok for me, but It would be really usefull if we could set up this kind of info in the network (with nodes) and solaris would end up building the “correct” usd file. This “two-step” process makes the workflow not so procedural when we are getting geo from SOPs, because we must bake the sequence of usds before rendering (or adding switchers in the network) to test the render befor creating the “final” usd file.
7737 posts
guilhermecasagrandi
jsmack
guilhermecasagrandi
jsmack

The (two step) process is ok for me, but It would be really usefull if we could set up this kind of info in the network (with nodes) and solaris would end up building the “correct” usd file. This “two-step” process makes the workflow not so procedural when we are getting geo from SOPs, because we must bake the sequence of usds before rendering (or adding switchers in the network) to test the render befor creating the “final” usd file.

It has to be two step because creating the manifest or stitching requires opening all of the frames, whereas the usd rop operates frame-by-frame.
Edited by jsmack - 2020年10月29日 15:58:45
260 posts
jsmack
guilhermecasagrandi
jsmack
guilhermecasagrandi
jsmack

It has to be two step because creating the manifest or stitching requires opening all of the frames, whereas the usd rop operates frame-by-frame.

Well… so that´s It. Thanks for the answers!!
スタッフ
4435 posts
If you want a separate USD file per frame, value clips is the only way to combine them back into a single animated clip at composition time. I would like at some point to have the Value Clip LOP capable of doing the “stitching” step automatically as part of the USD ROP save step, but that's probably a ways off.

If you don't specifically want a separate USD file per frame, you can create a massive single USD file which is very efficient to read in (USD only loads the data for the time samples that it needs at any given time). This is much easier than working with value clips.
260 posts
mtucker
If you want a separate USD file per frame, value clips is the only way to combine them back into a single animated clip at composition time. I would like at some point to have the Value Clip LOP capable of doing the “stitching” step automatically as part of the USD ROP save step, but that's probably a ways off.

If you don't specifically want a separate USD file per frame, you can create a massive single USD file which is very efficient to read in (USD only loads the data for the time samples that it needs at any given time). This is much easier than working with value clips.

Sure, but a massive file is not too good when sending to a cloud farm or for working remotely through dropbox or something alike, because It has to download the entire file to make It available for the user.
  • Quick Links