Programmatically Extend Houdini for Unreal Engine via C++?

3608   3   0
2 posts
Hello,

I am interested in creating “extension” functionality in the UE4 editor that would allow me to generate many instances of my HDA in the Editor based on a set of parameters the user sets. I am currently attempting to do this in C++, but looking at the source code for the Houdini V1 and V2 Plugins – all of the header files that are useful to me, such as the AHoudiniAssetActor and AHoudiniAssetComponent that I would like to instantiate in my own UE4 Editor Mode are private, and therefore inaccessible in C++. Is there a reason for this? Is there a different way I should be programmatically extending Houdini Plugin functionality in C++?

Secondary question – is there a way to programmatically update parameters surfaced in my HDA in C++? I would like to vary the geometry generated by my HDA in a programmatic fashion, but had not found a good way to do this on the Unreal side of things.

Thanks much for any insights.
54 posts
Hey Emjay,

I can't answer the first question. But regarding the second one, there are three functions available through blueprints: HasParameter, SetFloatParameter, SetToggleValueAtt.

You should be able just to call those functions in C++ on your HDA, have you tried that?

Cheers,
Edited by hektor - 2020年11月22日 00:25:51

Attachments:
houdini_asset_blueprint.jpeg (90.5 KB)

2 posts
Hey Hektor,

Thanks for your response! I was hoping that if something was available via Blueprints, it would also be available via C++. However, the methods you have outlined are also still hidden behind the Private headers [github.com] which make it impossible to include that in my project and call in C++.

I can get around this problem by moving all the .h files in the Houdini V2 plugin modules from Private to Public and then surface them as included, but I would like to accomplish this without modifying source if I can avoid it.
54 posts
That's a bummer, sorry Emjay. Hope that there is a way to go around it.
  • Quick Links