Houdini FBX to Maya issue

1588   2   0
4 posts
Hi there, have been having an issue exporting FBX to Maya, version 2020.4, as follows:

Export fbx from Houdini > Import to Maya > tweak mesh and export final FBX from maya for baking

Everything works great up to the point of exporting from Maya, where the program will hang for around 5 minutes. Usually it exports FBX in a split second. I've noticed that if I export the mesh as an .obj from Houdini to import to Maya, then finally export as an fbx it works perfectly... so I have to assume that Houd is exporting something in an .fbx file that Maya isn't liking. I've done a very simple test on a cube with voxelize as can be seen in the attached image.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers

Attachments:
cubeVox.jpg (84.5 KB)

4 posts
An update: I believe its to do with Voxelize and Maya reading the groups it creates. One of the people on the Houd discord channel put it in a better way: "I'm not super sure, but I can give it my best shot. So the voxelmesh generates some attributes and some groups. This is quite a lot of data on so many points and primitives. When you export this as an fbx, all these attributes will come with, where as with an OBJ I think it only stores the geometry and the normals afaik, resulting in a lot less data."

For now if I need to export using a voxel node I will use OBJ format to transfer to Maya instead, although I'd be interested if there is a workaround for getting FBX's working.
7752 posts
PhilMehr
For now if I need to export using a voxel node I will use OBJ format to transfer to Maya instead, although I'd be interested if there is a workaround for getting FBX's working.

Alternatively, clean up your data in Houdini before export. It's very common for Houdini to create dozens of attributes or groups as part of the creation process that have no use beyond that and should be stripped away before export.
  • Quick Links