Issue when exporting a KineFX skeletal mesh to unreal

3824   5   3
2 posts
Hi, I have an issue with exporting a KineFX rig to unreal.

I setup a door and animation, but when I export the skeletal mesh some part of it are disappearing.

Unreal complains about bone missing from the bind pose but the skeleton I sent to the ROP FBX Character export does contains the bones.
Only the root_lock_right and root_lock_left bones don't have weight associated to them, but their children do.

So, in Houdini all is fine, bones, skinning, animations, but the unreal imported skeletal mesh is off.

I don't know where to look to debug this, how would you fix or investigate this?

In Houdini:

Houdini export graph:

Import in unreal:

Houdini file:
Image Not Found

Attachments:
door.hiplc (818.0 KB)
houdini_lZ8YdoCsbD.png (319.4 KB)
houdini_ZvSILl6zRR.png (37.3 KB)
UE4Editor_nCfNQbneOq.png (571.8 KB)

676 posts
Hey Voktu,

I examined your scene and scratched my head, too. I haven`t found anything "wrong" that could cause the issue. Have you found something yet? Maybe unreal doesn't support weighting on bones containing the word "root"?

Cheers
CYTE
Edited by CYTE - 2021年4月22日 02:49:08
2 posts
Yes, I finally found the issue!

In the output FBX, the bones and meshes are mixed in a single hierarchy, which is bad practice and not recognized by unreal.

A simple fix is to prefix all of the joints name with 'rig:', ('rig:door_left', 'rig:root_lock_left', ...).

In that case, you will end up with two hierarchies that are correctly recognized.
676 posts
Glad to hear you find it, and good to know!
2 posts
Hey there! This is a dummy simple question but how did you go about renaming the joints before exporting from Houdini?
15 posts
reparentjoints

Attachments:
Screenshot 2022-09-20 162929.png (1.2 MB)

• Quick Links