Possible to do with Houdini? (booleans modeling)

2097   4   0
29 posts
Does anyone knows if it is somehow possible to do this with the current tools available in Houdini?
clean booleans... [youtu.be]
I've been trying to make clean bevels to my boolean models and the only way I found to control the bevels decently is remeshing with quad remesher and then selecting the edges and beveling, but it would be cool that only the beveled area gets remeshed like in the video I linked.
Any Ideas?
Edited by jorgelm23 - 2021年4月27日 04:56:16
29 posts
Here are some tests I did using Exoside quad remesher:

Attachments:
2021-04-27_18h02_54.png (1.4 MB)
2021-04-27_18h03_04.png (1.6 MB)
2021-04-27_18h04_37.png (2.1 MB)
2021-04-27_18h04_49.png (2.4 MB)

104 posts
This is not possible with the polybevel because this is not how the polybevel works. Even in the posted example, the tool is creating a new geometry which doesn't have the same topology as original objects. However, it is possible to write such a tool by using existing tools. What you need is to resample, transform and ray project your boolean edge at the A and B object within controllable distance, then make operation like skin and then bevel the central line to the desired number of divisions and then merge that back with your boolean. Another problem you might run into is then smoothing your normals, so it is not visible in your rendering that you are using two different topologies. This can also be solved by some tricks, like, for example, making a sdf, creating normals, then attribute transfer that normals. In the example I can see that there is some time going by before it creates that chamfer, so my guess is that something like this is happening under the hood, resampling, calculating normals with sdf, etc.
Saying that, there has been the third party plugin called Modeler who has something called soft boolean, but I haven't try it, so I am not sure if it can make what you need out of the box.
29 posts
Drasko Ivezic
This is not possible with the polybevel because this is not how the polybevel works. Even in the posted example, the tool is creating a new geometry which doesn't have the same topology as original objects. However, it is possible to write such a tool by using existing tools. What you need is to resample, transform and ray project your boolean edge at the A and B object within controllable distance, then make operation like skin and then bevel the central line to the desired number of divisions and then merge that back with your boolean. Another problem you might run into is then smoothing your normals, so it is not visible in your rendering that you are using two different topologies. This can also be solved by some tricks, like, for example, making a sdf, creating normals, then attribute transfer that normals. In the example I can see that there is some time going by before it creates that chamfer, so my guess is that something like this is happening under the hood, resampling, calculating normals with sdf, etc.
Saying that, there has been the third party plugin called Modeler who has something called soft boolean, but I haven't try it, so I am not sure if it can make what you need out of the box.

Hello, thanks you for your reply!, your method makes sense , i did several tests creating a new geometry from the bevel resulting groups and as you mentioned the connection point was always bad , I just want to be able to control the bevel at will after doing a boolean. I will make some more tests implementing your suggestion .

and well I checked the Modeler plugin, looks nice! but I think i need to do the free trial to make sure.

Thank you for all the wonderful advice!
Edited by jorgelm23 - 2021年4月27日 22:04:22
29 posts
I think the Modeler has no trial, lol! , well I think I need to buy a license then.
  • Quick Links