Q: State of Handles Houdini->UE4/5?

2818   7   4
7024 posts
Hi,

Is this:
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/unreal/_handles.html [www.sidefx.com]

the extent of Handle support in UE, from Houdini?

i.e. basically just a Bound handle and a xform handle (on the Houdini side)?

Cheers,

Peter B
7024 posts
Also, I see the Houdini Handles in Unreal, but modifying them does nothing to the actual parm that the handle is bound to. I suspect I have missed something but reading through the docs I can't figure out what

The docs mention the handles should appear greyed out which makes sense to me, but I don't see the greyed out handles.

If I click on the HoudiniHandleComponent in the Details, I get the handle in the viewport but dragging it does nothing...

I'm also getting some bizarre scaling of the values, where if I type in the value into the Houdini Handles parm on the UE5 details view, the value it applies to the parm is 100x smaller than expected. It's clearly trying to be clever with scaling which is cool and all but super confusing in this case...

Full disclosure: I'm using UE5 so maybe things aren't working fully in 5?

Cheers,

Peter B
36 posts
Bump!
Same here. Handles don't work at all in UE5.
Weird that nobody answered to this for over a year now?
2 posts
We got same issue, It basically makes any tool useless, any solutions for getting the handles to work?
2 posts
Just about to ask something about curve and bump into this post, I attached 2 screen recordings to demonstrate how I use the feature, please find the attachments below.

My work environment: Houdini19.0.622, UE5.0.3

Some key things to get it working:
1. handles won't show initially, have to click on sth in the scene and click on the HDA again to get it refreshed and draw properly.
2. for transform handles they'll appear at the same location as the UE's manipulator handles, keep an eye on the little square and click on it the color should change to relfect it's selected. If you have multiple transform handles setup, you'll always click on the last one in the order of listed in the Create Handle panel in the HDA property setup in Houdini.

BTW this is my first contribution to the forum and hope it helps.
Edited by goldhu - 2023年1月15日 19:48:24

Attachments:
handleTest_bound_s.mp4 (8.4 MB)
handleTest_transform_s.mp4 (7.5 MB)

14 posts
bumpybump

the scaling issue is super weird. Why does rotating 10° with the TRS result in 573° rotation? Please fix this, thank you!
スタッフ
534 posts
Hi,

Sorry for taking so long, but those issues should be fixed in tomorrow's daily build of the plugin (19.5.584).
The issue was actually a little more than just scaling the values, basically, the code that converted the handle's rotation (and scale) values was completely incorrect.

Anyway, handles should now behave correctly, and the plugin now also displays the handle name (and type) on the editor viewport.
This should make selecting/finding them a little easier.
14 posts
hell yes, thank you guys!
  • Quick Links