Solaris. Cannot instance random variants

1298   2   2
642 posts
Hi.

Im in Windows 19.5.403 I have used the component builder to set up a bunch of random rocks, and rock colors. Expole variants works fine to see what I have done. But when I follow Chris Rydalch's Solaris (creating usd assets with component builder) workshop video around 43 mins in. He seems to be able to use the instancer to randomly select the variants. I get errors about the stage note being flattened. I have saved out the rocks as usd and tried asset referencing them back in and it still does not work. Has anyone had any success with this. I can see the expore variants LOP has changed since this example in the video. I dont get what I am doing wrong.

Best. Mark
Edited by Mark Wallman - 2022年10月28日 06:31:23

Attachments:
Capture.JPG (45.5 KB)
coloredRocks.JPG (17.5 KB)
usd_instancing.hipnc (756.2 KB)

スタッフ
4159 posts
It looks like this hip file was using customized versions of the component geometry node? I can't say how those changes may have changed things, but I've added a setup that works w/ the vanilla nodes in that hip file.

You need to un-toggle "Only Copy Specified Prototype Primitives", when using the Explore Variants; otherwise the prototypes don't have all the information they need, because the source rock asset isn't a child of the prototype prim, it's a sibling.

Hope that helps!

Attachments:
usd_instancing_specifiedprototypes.hipnc (842.6 KB)

I'm o.d.d.
642 posts
Hi Goldleft. Thank you so much! Sorry. Yes I altered the component output so I can export animation as well as static objects.

Have a good one!

Best
  • Quick Links