How to install MOPS and Redshift plugin via the .env

2625   2   1
4 posts
Hi all,

This is my first enter to the forum so I hope I will make things good.

I've reach to install MOPS in my houdini apprentice first then I decided to buy Houdini Indie then install Redshift just after. But when I would install MOPS in addition to Redshift like I've done on Apprentice version but I realised that I reach to make work one or another but not both in the same session ...

I'm a newbie on houdini and add plugin this way is really new and obscur to me for now.

Is someone could give me an example of the code I must add/modify to get it properly ?

My mops folder and Redshit folder are both in my houdini folder so the path is pretty simple.

Here my actual .env code :
#
# NOTE: The use of packages is highly recommended instead of houdini.env
# See details about packages here: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini19.5/ref/plugins.html [www.sidefx.com]
#
# Houdini Environment Settings
#
# The contents of this file are read into the environment
# at startup. They will override any existing entries in
# the environment.
#
# The syntax is one entry per line as follows:
# VAR = VALUE
#
# Values may be quoted
# VAR = "VALUE"
#
# Values may be empty
# VAR =
#

# Example:
#
# HOUDINI_NO_SPLASH = 1

HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR = 2

PATH = "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/bin;$PATH"
HOUDINI_PATH = "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/Houdini/19.5.368;&"

# MOPS="C:/Users/thoma/Documents/houdini19.5/MOPS"
# HOUDINI_PATH = "C:/Users/thoma/Documents/houdini19.5;$MOPS;&"

In this configuration, only Redshift is working on my houdini and MOPS doesn't appears.

I hope someone could resolve this frustrating problem to let me finish my Paul Esteves courses 😅

Thanks by advance 🙏
French global designer - 3D enthusiast
359 posts
Hey there,

The problem is two things: first, your MOPS and HOUDINI_PATH definitions at the bottom there are commented out (the # prefix means "ignore this"). Second, the way you're defining PATH and HOUDINI_PATH are effectively overwriting any prior definitions, so if you uncommented the HOUDINI_PATH definition at the bottom, it'd overwrite the previous HOUDINI_PATH.

This confusion is why packages were invented, and why MOPS (me) recommends that you use packages over houdini.env where possible. However, your houdini.env as it is right now would likely override any packages because the definition will overwrite any other HOUDINI_PATH definition as it is written.

If you want to add something to PATH or HOUDINI_PATH instead of replacing, you just need to include the original variable definition in the definition. Like this:

HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR = 2

PATH="C:/ProgramData/Redshift/bin;$PATH"
HOUDINI_PATH="$HOUDINI_PATH;C:/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/Houdini/19.5.368;&"

MOPS="C:/Users/thoma/Documents/houdini19.5/MOPS"
HOUDINI_PATH="$HOUDINI_PATH;C:/Users/thoma/Documents/houdini19.5;$MOPS;&"
Edited by toadstorm - 2022年11月28日 15:43:43
MOPs (Motion Operators for Houdini): http://www.motionoperators.com [www.motionoperators.com]
4 posts
@Toadstorm, thanks a lot !! I was sure it was a really "dumb" error of newbie and a lack of knowledge about code.

I understand now why my env file was not working and how you've fixed it!

You're help gonna have a huge impact on my pursuit of HOUDINI's learning.

Thanks again for your quick answer ! (I've just seen it now, sorry to reply as late)

🙏🙏🙏
French global designer - 3D enthusiast
  • Quick Links