how to delete specific points in group selections

741   6   0
17 posts
hi can anyone tell me how to deselect specific points in my group selection? I'm trying to stitch some clothing panels together with vellum drape and after careful selection of front and back panel points I have these pesky strays which I can't identify in order to delete. by strays I mean the diagonal constraints you can see in the screenshot. I'd love to just delete those but don't know how
Image Not Found
Edited by Shy1 - 2024年6月13日 14:55:39

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 9.57.06AM.png (1.4 MB)

15 posts
The point wrangle code below will remove lines that are not aligned with Z axis.
Parameter `threshold` determines how much a line can deviate from the axis before it would get deleted.

int other = neighbour(0, @ptnum, 0);
if (other > @ptnum) {
  return;
}

vector pos = point(0, "P", other);

if (abs(dot({0, 0, 1}, normalize(@P - pos))) < 1 - chf("threshold")) {
  removepoint(0, @ptnum);
  removepoint(0, other);
}
Edited by play_w_madness - 2024年6月14日 11:14:22
17 posts
thankyou! I'll try this. I'd love to know how to delete selected points from groups more generally too if you or anyone can let me know how that works.

i.e. when a string of points is already selected and assigned to a group but you just want to delete some without having to start the entire group selection again.

cheers
53 posts
I think you're asking about reselection?

For example by pressing the triangular arrow head icon to the right of the parameter, make a new selection in the viewport , SHIFT+ to add to selection, CTRL+ to remove....lock in new selection by pressing "Enter"

Or

Select a node press "`" to enable reselect mode.....on my keyboard its the key to the left of "1" top left, it can differ sometimes depending on keyboard layout for your location in the world.

Reselection causes some confusion while learning.....it will work as expected by having the blue tab on the active node and the "showhandle" icon is activated *not* the "select" icon.....left side of viewport.

The quick shortcut to activate the "show handle" icon for any selected node is by pressing enter.

Remember to press "Enter" after making a new selections!

------------

It's a bit of a gotcha as *showhandle* is not what many at first think it is, it's not for showing basic transform axis handles.......it will however show handles, selections, options etc that are relevant with the current node

A good way to fully understand this is drop a curve node.....you'll see if the "select" icon is active its just for selecting....no curve functionality can be used even though you're active on the curve node......by selecting the "show handle" icon you'll now see and be able to use all the options and functionality related to the curve node.

Is it confusing at first, hell yeah.....though once you understand the distinction between the two it's actually a great
way of working.

Hope this helps!
Edited by EZiniT - 2024年6月16日 10:40:14
17 posts
very helpful @EZiniT thankyou!

yes a lot of what at first seems counter intuitive turns out to be entirely practical. I just have a long way to go before i get familiar is all. so tips like this are extremely useful.

in regards to clothing welds specifically I think where I'm running into trouble is that entire seam group, as opposed to point coordinates, are referenced in the group selection. so I'm unable to select and delete individual points within a defined seam group.

using control+ doesn't delete specific points from a pre defined group name as far as I can tell. any idea how I might go about doing that?

cheers!

Attachments:
seam_groups.png (53.5 KB)

53 posts
Firstly check the source of the group, if you didn't create it directly yourself what caused it to be made?
Many times it's a more complex node doing a lot of work for us under the hood where a quick double check of it's
initial setup is preferable to changing what's in these groups further down the line if something seems a bit off.

There are more ways to amend and adjust group selections other than my explanation in the previous post which
was geared towards interactive selections.

A few methods that come to mind that are more "procedural"

"Group_Combine" node pretty much speaks for itself.

Creating another group node with the same name as the incoming group "see initial merge" on the node parameters.

Add or removing elements from a group using a VEX wrangle.

you'll notice the point group from the point wrangle wont appear in the viewport like viewing a group node shows them.

If you didn't already know hit the "display group and attribute list" icon for a more reliable view of group selections.
(right side of the viewport.

Cheers!
Edited by EZiniT - 2024年6月18日 06:33:01

Attachments:
Adjusting_Group_Contents.hipnc (90.5 KB)

17 posts
thanks @EZiniT all useful info.

you're right I think I'm better off making things tidier further up the chain where things might not have been set up well to begin with.

the groups were made using planar 'patch from curves' node. I've noticed however, that this node seems to have fewer options in regards to which edges of the geometry it applies seams to. it kind of just applies seams automatically and rather indiscriminately.

the regular 'planar patch' node (not from curves) appears to give me more options re. which edges to apply point groups./seams to.
  • Quick Links