My GLIBC is too old for Houdini 11. Which options do I have?

4192   7   2
11 posts
Hi

We use Gentoo 2.6.29 in our office and I have been trying for some time now to run Houdini 11 without luck. The issue is related to our GLIBC which I think is 2.6 and Houdini 11 (with gcc 4.3) requires 2.9.
If I do not wish to upgrade the GLIBC libraries for the moment, is there another way to get them so I can put them inside the $HFS/dsolib folder ? I have tried the site www.rpmfind.net where I could find pre-compiled GLIBC libraries but none that I have tried have worked for me.

Any ideas?
320 posts
It sounds like your portage tree is very old. I'm not sure it would even upgrade with your old profile, and you can't swap out binarys for glibc. It's too large a part of your whole system.

Sadly, you'll probably have to download the latest tree and start from scratch. Or, possibly try a chroot.

I ran into this not too long ago. I had a Gentoo box with a 2007 profile that was completely incompatible with ebuilds from the stable tree.
www.alan-warren.com
11 posts
Hi Alanw

Oh okay. I know that our freelance Linux guy did this once but not even he does remember how now (somehow he used the libraries that came with Tweak Software's rv 3.6 in some way).
But thanks for your insights! I'm still learning Linux myself so I encounter new things everyday that I have no clue of Just curious, what does a “chroot” means?

I think we probably in the end will try to upgrade our Gentoos instead then. Thanks again
94 posts
Hi Daiboushi.

Consider “chroot” as a method to put your software into a “cage”. That means after a chroot /tmp/fakeroot executable the executable can not access any folders outside of /tmp/fakeroot. Usually you have to set this “cage” up to resolve all dependencies of your executable. Like libraries and stuff…

Never done this myself though.

HTH
If you can't script/program it, it's no good at all !
7760 posts
Why not just try the gcc 3.4 build? Those builds were down for awhile but they're now up.
11 posts
Sorry guys for very delay before this reply.

WhoDjini,
thanks for the info about the command. I think it sounds like an interesting command to test things out with to resolve dependencies issues

edward,
really? I will try it out! If it works then I just need to be able to install gcc 3.4 on my machine (we have never used a gcc below 4.0 before).

Thanks a lot guys for your time
7760 posts
Daiboushi
really? I will try it out! If it works then I just need to be able to install gcc 3.4 on my machine (we have never used a gcc below 4.0 before).

Which gcc version are you running then? There are a huge range of gcc versions available (3.4, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4). You don't need an exact match of your gcc compiler, just pick the closest one.
11 posts
Really? Won't that become an issue once you compile plugins?
We have 4.3.2 by default. And then I added 4.1.2 manually to my machine because we have to compile some plugins for Maya.

Before I had the chance to try 3.4 I got curious and tried 4.1 (haven't thought of that option before). And that worked perfectly on two different machines And then I can still compile plugins for it as well.

I guess that solves my issue in one way
  • Quick Links