Animation troubleshooting with Alembic imports

8127   3   1
31 posts
Hey all,

So I'm importing objects from maya to houdini by converting them to Alembic objects. The objects have already been animated in maya and the animation carries over into Houdini when I import it. However, whenever I convert a piece of geometry into a RBD object or FLIP fluid, the animation is lost.

Will I have to re-create the animation in houdini or is there a way to re-establish the animation after the object has been converted into an RBD or fluid?

Thanks!
2624 posts
Hi,
All I can say is I have not had any issues taking alembic files in Sops , into RBD . Do you have a simple cached animation to upload.

Rob
Gone fishing
31 posts
Sorry for the late reply. Could you clarify your request? I could cache it out as .bgeo. Is that what you are asking for?
31 posts
Update:

I solved the issue of missing animation after importing Alembic. All I had to do was go to the bottom level of the alembic import and render out the alembic node there as a .bgeo file. In the rop geometry node I checked “Initialize simulation OPs” to render the animation as well.

New issue:
For some reason Houdini crashes every time I try to save. After a lot of troubleshooting, I've found out that this happens whenever I import an Alembic file. Has anyone else had this issue?
  • Quick Links