particle cache huge!!!

6334   9   1
25 posts
Hey

i am doing a cache of my particles trough a file cache node, everything should be around 13 m particles fluid tank, what i am not sure is if its normal to have 380 mb per frame for it!?

Thanks
575 posts
did You delete all unnecessary point attributes. makes a huge difference
25 posts
how you do that?
1391 posts
How did you make a cache on the disk ?
using *.sim files with Explicit Cache or bgeo files with “ROP Output Driver” !?

If you wanna save all your simulation data in the files ,So you should use explicit cache ,In this case you can continue your simulation after end cached frame later

But if you wanna just save your simulation on the disk without simulation history only for rendering ,So you should use *.bgeo files ,In this case you can't continue simulation after end frame !

If your simulation works good and you don't wanna make changes on it later ,You should use second way.

* In the first option ,You should Turn ON “Compress .sim Files” option in the AutoDopNetwork ,Also if you used POP network in the AutoDopNetwork ,You can delete unused particles with Kill POP node.

* In the second option you should use *.bgeo.gz to compress your files ,Also exactly like sanostol that say ,you should delete unused Point Attributes with “Attribute SOP” ,Just append this node and type name of the unused attributes in the delete section 8)
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
25 posts
thanks joker386

i meant how do i delete all the attributes to save space, but i guess you have answer me anyway with your post even if i still dont know what attribute i should point in the kill attribute node.

Bgeo saves particles too? i thought that format was used to save geometry only
166 posts
Bgeo is king, you can save anything you want to it. Geometry, particles, volumes, you name it.
1391 posts
neom314
thanks joker386

i meant how do i delete all the attributes to save space, but i guess you have answer me anyway with your post even if i still dont know what attribute i should point in the kill attribute node.

Bgeo saves particles too? i thought that format was used to save geometry only

Yes ,bgeo is standard Houdini Format for saving anythings on the file ,Check Attached file ,I show you how you can delete unused attrs : 8)

Attachments:
JKTest_Delete_Attr.hip (1.9 MB)

Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
25 posts
Fantastic guys, you are life saver here

now another question! if i want to have bgeo files i need to re simulate the whole thing? or i can use the same .sim cache?
1391 posts
neom314
Fantastic guys, you are life saver here

now another question! if i want to have bgeo files i need to re simulate the whole thing? or i can use the same .sim cache?

If you use *.sim files via “Explicit Cache” ,You can continue your simulation every time you need.

for example you cache your simulation from frame 1 to 240 ,Then you can continue your simulations after frame 240 tomorrow without any resimulating first frames.

But if you use bgeo files with “ROP Output Driver SOP” ,you should resimulating frame 1 to 240 again ,then continue after frame 240 !!!

When your simulation is not complete ,you should use sim files ,When your simulation is complete and you wanna do another operation on the project like Lighting and Rendering , Materials , Animation , Camera and Layout setup and etc ,you can use bgeo files :wink:
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
260 posts
380mb is ok man, try 3.8gb per frame . Also don't forget some of the fields are and can be useful later on, like surface velocity, etc, some of these fields are used for whitewater creation.
Head of CG @ MPC
CG Supervisor/ Sr. FX TD /
https://gumroad.com/timvfx [gumroad.com]
www.timucinozger.com
  • Quick Links