Generating terrain from curves

5596   5   0
12 posts
Hi all,

I have terrain data, which is a series of curves (polys not all of which are closed) representing the folds of the mountains, the curves have z values. Many curves have a common z value. What I wish to do is skin these curves to form the geo, the skin sop gives me wild results, I have tried sorting around height, and the common heights pose a problem. All I could think of was using a grid and a ray sop and this seems a hack.

So please any suggestions

Thanks
12545 posts
Could you post a screenshot of the curves? I've having a hard time picturing how your curves are laid out.

Don't forget, between the Fit, Refine and Resample SOPs, you can make sure that you have an equal number of points per curve.

Thanks,
Jason

PS. Not to steal a thread to od, but you are able to attach pictures to threads there.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
12 posts
Hi Jason,

I am importing the data form a file, the image attached gives you an idea.

Thanks for you time
66 posts
All I could think of was using a grid and a ray sop and this seems a hack

this is works fine if you switch from “project rays” to “mimimum distance”.

your file looks like ??.dem.
if yes, there is free programm “demg2dxf” wich does all what you need.
Michael Fuchs -|- Owner Sparkling Design -|- Austria

Sparkling Design [sparkling-design.com]
12 posts
Hi Michael

It's not a DEM it was a dxf with a user defined node structure that came from i don't know what, i translated the data into a .d file (draw draw move draw). I used the ray sop and it gave me a reasable approx, but was wondering if i could use the curves i have.

Thanks guys
12545 posts
Hey,

One idea might be to flatten all the curves down to the groundplane as a rest position for the CurveClaySOP and then supply the original offset curves to deform the mesh up with.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
  • Quick Links