How to increase voxels or resolution of a pyro sim without changing the look of the sim.

8519   6   0
69 posts

hi guys I'm trying to increase the resolution of my pyro sim without changing the look of the sim. Every time i increase the voxels/resolution from 0.1 to 0.05, the pyro Nuke “stalk” starts bending to the left. When i change it back to 0.1 it goes straight up like its supposed too. I tried to increase the viscosity in the pyro solver in the NUKE SECTION "( I labeled it ). It works to some degree, but it decreases the confinement and just makes it look to smooth. You'll see it when you guys dive into the Dop network. Can you guys give me some pointers or help on how to raise the resolution without changing the look of the sim? All i did with this sim really was use the shelf tools and key framed the velocity, temperature scale, in the pyro node etc..

Attachments:
HOUDINI 15.5 NUKE IN PROGRESS 2016.hip (1.1 MB)

51 posts
Hey Arkahtek,

Prior to Houdini 12 I think there were UpRes Tools for that.
Those should still work and are probably the most reliable way to make sure your overall Sim does not change.

When increasing just the resolution so the calculation of many of your values will actually change a bit and you can not really prevent that from happening, So its is up to you to find where the “bending” occures and get that out of your system.

Also when looking at your file:
I would separate the floor Sim and the Nuke sim form another.
This gives you more System Power for each simulation, which allows for faster iteration of each and doing you pre Simulations at higher resolutions. Doing stuff at slightly higher resolutions earlier will help you not to have such a drastic change when going up with the resolution.

I hope this at least a little helpful!
69 posts
Thank you that helps henrik moving forward I will keep those things in mind. I never used the upres tools before, I'll try to find a tutorial on a workflow to add to my sim.
69 posts
how do i up-res cache files?
69 posts
I need a walk thru of this..i tried looking for a Tut on UP - resing cache files but they're from houdini 10.
39 posts
Under the Gas Up Res Solver there is a Source parameter where you can link to a .bgeo file. Have a look at the help as it explains how to set it up pretty well. There's also an example file at the bottom of the page.
69 posts
Thanks Sean. Checking it out now
  • Quick Links