linking protocols for external libraries?

2351   4   1
12 posts
Hi all, I'm writing an SOP that uses a third party library, which I link to. Now, when I load my plugin, I get:

Cannot load smoo.dll
Missing version information
When creating custom operators with the HDK ,remeber to
#include <UT/UT_DSOVersion.h>to define the required version information

I altered my PATH variable to include the directory with the DLL, but that error still comes up. Is there a way to link to a third party DLL?

cheers,
Easy3s
7733 posts
Are you building with the correct compiler flags? Run “hcustom -d MyFile.C” to see the flags that should be used. Offhand, it looks like you're missing -DMAKING_DSO but if you're missing that, you're probably missing others as well.
12 posts
edward
Are you building with the correct compiler flags? Run “hcustom -d MyFile.C” to see the flags that should be used. Offhand, it looks like you're missing -DMAKING_DSO but if you're missing that, you're probably missing others as well.

These are the flags I'm using right now (line breaking for ease of reading):

—- SNIP —-
-TP -Zc:forScope
-DVERSION=“11.1.201”
-DI386
-DWIN32
-DSWAP_BITFIELDS
-D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0501
-DWINVER=0x0501
-MD
-EHsc
-GR
-DSESI_LITTLE_ENDIAN
-DNEED_SPECIALIZATION_STORAGE
-DSIZEOF_VOID_P=4
-DMAKING_DSO
—- SNIP —-

I do have MAKING_DSO specified. I should note that ‘smoo.dll’ is the third party DLL (I had copied it over to where my SOP's DLL is loading from).
12 posts
easythrees
edward

These are the flags I'm using right now (line breaking for ease of reading):

—- SNIP —-
-TP -Zc:forScope
-DVERSION=“11.1.201”
-DI386
-DWIN32
-DSWAP_BITFIELDS
-D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0501
-DWINVER=0x0501
-MD
-EHsc
-GR
-DSESI_LITTLE_ENDIAN
-DNEED_SPECIALIZATION_STORAGE
-DSIZEOF_VOID_P=4
-DMAKING_DSO
—- SNIP —-

I do have MAKING_DSO specified. I should note that ‘smoo.dll’ is the third party DLL (I had copied it over to where my SOP's DLL is loading from).

I *think* I know why this is happening. The link in proper seems to only happen in release mode. When I switch to release mode (and use the specified flags), I get no error messages. Onward!
30 posts
resurrecting an old thread (That saved me )… I was finally able to compile the sop_star example using visual studio 2015. What really through me off was not including -DMAKING_DSO in the command line on my project settings.

My question is why doesn't -DMAKING_DSO show up in the needed flags when using hcustom -c ?

hcustom -d “myFIle.cpp” will out put the exact same just with a -DMAKING_DSO -LD -Fo“myFIle.o”
I'm just a little confused what the difference between -d and -c are in hcustom.
Cheers
Alex
Edited by AlexLombardi - Aug. 16, 2016 18:16:42
  • Quick Links