Wire solver, buoyancy, and fluids?

1937   5   1
6 posts
Hi all,

I am trying to get back into Houdini after a couple years off, and I am loving the changes! One proof of concept I am trying to work on with Houdini (so we can use it more here at work) involves hair being affected by a fluid simulation.

I have searched high and low, but I am wondering if there is a way to make the wires ‘float’ like if an animal gets in the water some of the fur floats on the surface. I was thinking a Buoyancy Force might be the trick, but can't seem to get it to work.

As I've searched all over Google and various forums, I don't even know if it's possible to do this. I can't seem to find anything that describes which solver or forces can affect other solvers or forces (if that makes sense).

I'm interested overall in any good articles on hair (and definitely interaction with fluids), so thanks for any tips or tricks!

Thanks,
Alex
27 posts
Use a field force and connect in a velocity field. i.e. create a Box in sops then make a fluid force add some fields, probably Vel in y with some curl noise for your example, and then load it into dops
6 posts
Thank you very much! I will give that a try.
27 posts
No worries.

Here is a quick example if you need it.

Can't upload to the forums for some reason, but here it is…

https://uploadfiles.io/cd4e7 [uploadfiles.io]
Edited by ludwigvon - Jan. 11, 2017 19:44:21
6 posts
This is great, thank you so much! This is interesting because it had some other nodes I haven't even used yet.

Thanks again!
1 posts
@ludwigvon, can you post the hip again? Interested in this as well.

Cheers!
  • Quick Links