Particle based Pyro explosion

7465   2   1
26 posts
Hi,

I want to know how to do a particle based explosion by using the pyro solver. Also, if there is anyway i can also scatter points on any object and if i can use those points in pyro solver to create an explosion.
I am coming from fumefx background.

Thanks

Looking forward
2540 posts
You may want to check out this example website [tokeru.com].
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
2540 posts
The tokeru site does have a couple relevant files.

You ask for two things.

First is can you use scattered points as a fuel source for a Pyro sim.
Yes. Just take any surface, scatter your points, then use any of the Pyro shelf tools and select the points as your source.

The tool should be smart enough to realize that you have points (no primitives present on the source geometry is the internal test) and set up the Fuel Source SOP to use points and a specified radius.

Second you ask if you can use particles to drive an explosion?
Yes.

The classic Fume set-up is you use a particle source like TP to create an initial particle simulation. Then you can use these particles to drive both fuel and velocity.

In Houdini, you can use two DOP networks. The first Network is a classic particle simulation from a source. Create some initial geometry as a particle emitter and then use the Source Particle Emitter tool from the Particles shelf tab.

Add forces with the POP Force DOP (curl noise is always good) and POP Drag DOP and any other POP type DOPs to sculpt your particles.

Next jump up to /obj object level and tab-type add another DOP Network.
Now dive in to the empty DOP network and back out again. This sets this DOP network as current and all Simulation shelf tools will work on this new DOP network.

Now at frame one, choose any of the Pyro tools and when prompted select your particles. Again as with the first case, since there are no primitives present the tool will set this up as source points again.

Now the particles will supply both fuel and velocity in to the Pyro simulation.
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links