Intel Graphics Chipsets

7509   9   2
31 posts
Hi all,

As far as video graphics cards go, Nvidia seems the most recommended for trouble-free Houdini operation, and ATI seems to be one of the LEAST recommended. But what about other brands?

Been looking at new notebooks recently, and the few that are actually available with integrated Nvidia chipsets are outrageously expensive. Though I have found some great deals on a few mid-range Toshiba notebooks with 1 to 2 GB Ram, 120 to 160 GB HD, and 17“ screens for around $1200 to $1400.

This is a lot more that I was orginally planning to spend for a second computer that will do nothing other than learn Houdini. But it isn't much more than the average cost of a reliable, budget-priced desktop when factoring in the costs for extra RAM and monitor, (which would be about $900 to $1000). At least this way perhaps I could even use it for freelance work once I get my skillsets up?

The only catch here is that most of the notebooks in this range use an integrated Intel Video Graphics Chipset. The ”Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950" specifically. Are there any incompatabiltiy issues with this-ah-one?? It is rated to be compatible with Open GL 1.4.

BTW: Although many notebook computers are now being manufactured with additional, available PCI-Express open card slot(s) for future expansion, there are currently no aftermarket video cards of note that would be able to use them.

Gracias,
T.

Attachments:
lipsrsealed.gif (817 bytes)

68 posts
Um, from previous experiences, the definitive rule is: do not get an intel video card if you want to run any 3d apps. Ati is a hell of a lot better than intel, and not all nvidia laptops are “expensive”, do more research [shopping.hp.com].
7025 posts
Ya, we just bought a laptop for my wife, it has AMD Turion 64 (single core but you can get with double core) 1 gb RAM and most importantly, Nvidia 6150go graphics. This is the cheapest Nvidia system I've seen, $700 Canadian plus tax of course, and it runs Houdini very very well. Only downside is it doesn't have 1394 but you can get a card to add it if you care. the 6150 graphics use shared RAM so you lose some system RAM to the graphics but we're very happy with the machine! It's an HP Pavilion dv6105ca model.

I haven't tried Linux yet, I'll do that when we're back “home” in England )

Cheers,

Peter B
31 posts
Thanks for the tip ReggieFourmyle. That little piece of advice saved me a lot of time and trouble I'm sure. And thanks for the link too.

In my original research, I found HP to be lacking in certain areas. But after more updated information, initiated from your advice, I've found them to have improved quite a bit. And most importantly, one of the few manufacturers that puts Nvidias in their lower-end notebook products.

And thank you as well pbowmar. I didn't know it until you mentioned it that the Nvidia 6000 series even worked with 3D programs at all. And coincidently (or not), I found that same exact model you bought for your wife in Canada on sale this week here in L.A. at one of the national chain office supply stores for a great price.

Unfortunately, of the numerous stores around here, there was only one of these computers left in the whole the city. And it was waaay across the other side of town. It took about 3 1/2 hours round-trip to get it, but I got it!

It has the AMD Turion 64 Single Core, 15.4“ hi-def screen, 512 MB RAM, 80GB HDD, wireless, superdrive, windows xp media (with free upgrade to vista). It was on sale for only $550 (after mail-in rebates). And I added an extra 512MB of RAM for another $45 (after mail-in rebate). Not the most impressive machine I know, but it seems like a great machine for the price to get started on the road to Houdini Master.

The only thing needed now to complete the package is a track ball. The trackball seems like moderate compromise between the full-on tablet and the humble mouse. I'll probably start a new thread on that next time on here.

BTW, what is a ”1394"? I searched the whole forum for that term, and this thread was the only one that came up!

Thanx again,
T.
4262 posts
terrybuchanan
BTW, what is a “1394”? I searched the whole forum for that term, and this thread was the only one that came up!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire [en.wikipedia.org]
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
68 posts
I don't know how much the dual core upgrade is, but go for that if you can, but it'll still be just fine really.
31 posts
ReggieFourmyle
I don't know how much the dual core upgrade is, but go for that if you can, but it'll still be just fine really.

Yes, unfortunately due to this high-volume order's arrangement's between the retailer and manufacturer, these systems are only available in one configuration and it is not possible to special order these with any derivation from, and still get the low-price/high-value for the purchase.

also, for anyone else considering this model, i did find one issue that might be of concern. although it comes with 512MB of RAM already installed, it is preconfigured in an 256x2 arrangement and the unit only has two slots. so an upgrade with an additional 512 would yield only a net of 256, (with the removed 256 just sittin' there doing nothing). ie. 256 + 512 = 768MB ram total.

not a very cost effective upgrade - especially considering the fact that the video is sharing this memory. i think it would be better to spend the extra money on a 1GB module. i've seen them on sale for about 99 bucks at a couple of places.
68 posts
I don't know exactly the laptop you're referring to, but the dv6000z [shopping.hp.com] does upgrade to an x2, it's $100. Granted, that may be out of your budget, but it would seriously speed up render times (almost a full 2x faster) which can often times be a deterrant when learning these 3d programs. However, it just dawned on me that houdini apprentice actually only allows 1 core right now, so this would have virtually no effect on your houdini performance . The good thing is that other 3d programs will be much much faster with the extra core and as before, not all high end 3d programs are expensive….
31 posts
So Apprentice can't make use of the dual-core processors? That's good to know. Since I'm planning on using this machine only for learning Apprentice, a single-core is all I need right now, I guess. By the time I get to the point where I'll actually be able to take advantage of using the full-on Master, I'll be more than happy to upgrade to a new machine. Buying this little, inexpensive computer is sort of a motivator in that regard.

Under normal circumstances this model (the dv6000), is available with various different types of upgrades, including a variety several different processors. But, due to the special agreement between the retailer and the manufactuer, they bought dozens or even hundreds of this one and it only comes in one flavor - no derivation from the special model allowed.

That is why the price is so low and comes with a few extras for less than the cost of even the most basic model from HP directly. The retailer does have a special orders department, but ordering a computer, even the one with the same exact specs, would result in about 33% higher cost, plus the extra whatever it costs for the dual core upgrade.

Cheers,
T.
31 posts
Finally got the time to set-up my new computer and install Apprentice on it last night. The set-up process for the computer itself was a bit quirky in that it came with no disks. The os software was somehow already partially installed on a secret D: drive. and the lots of free junkware made it difficult to install. lots of warnings from the windows security manager and symantec virus software came up after installing houdini for some reason, so uninstalled them both, hah! looking forward to switching to unix someday.

The end of install returned with an online HP dialog screen mysteriously appearing that requested my feedback, in that they were very interested in improving customer service. When I tried to send in the (lengthy) form I was disconnected. No way!

Thanx again to all for helping me get up and running on this. Now all I need is a couple of free weekends to master it all… right? :roll:
  • Quick Links