packed bounding box in world space

1330   2   2
359 posts
I'm trying to get the world space bounding box of packed primitives, without unpacking, and I'm having some trouble getting it working. The `bounds` intrinsic seems to be a world space bounding box, but the numbers don't line up with what I see after unpacking… there's quite a bit of padding around it. Trying to transform the minimum and maximum of the `packedbounds` intrinsic with the packed transform isn't getting me anywhere, either. Is there a way to do this accurately that doesn't force me to unpack?
MOPs (Motion Operators for Houdini): http://www.motionoperators.com [www.motionoperators.com]
30 posts
Hi, any headway on this? I'm having the same issue it'll be greatly appreciated if you can share what you found.
Staff
365 posts
The packed geo bounds (intrinsic:packedbounds) are transformed by the packed transform (intrinsic:packedfulltransform) - this gives you the oriented bounds, and the resulting intrinsic:bounds is the bounding box of those oriented bounds, which results in the padding you are seeing.

To get the minimum sized bounds of the packed geo, you will need to unpack the geo first.

Attachments:
PackedBounds.hip (280.9 KB)

• Quick Links