fluid sim question

624   4   0
28 posts
Hi, please see attached, how can I get rid of the space, as indicated in my attachment-if the viewpoint is slightly superior, it's OK, but if I want this view, how can I make the fluid, " hug" the surface, thank you, Craig

Attachments:
fluid-setup.png (1.8 MB)
fluid-sim-issue.jpg (382.9 KB)

696 posts
Hi there,

It's hard to say without looking at your file, but things I'd try include:

1) checking the resolution of your collision volumes, might be too coarse;
2) if the first one looks fine, check the collision separation in your flip object;
3) see if the gap still exists after meshing the fluid.

If all else fails, you can try some vop tricks to move points of the mesh that are closest to the collision surface onto those surfaces, as a last resort.

Cheers,
Rafael
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
28 posts
Hi, and thank you for your quick response; I slowed down the collision velocity, as well as collision, it helped a bit; I also noticed that when I activate "surface" it seems to be touching the surface, or is that a false representation of what I am seeing?, Craig
28 posts
Hi Raphael, thank you!-yes, when I raise the resolution of the collision volume, from .04 to .o3, it did work; I'm curious about this "vop" trick, can you please explain how to achieve that,? and is it not advised to do so?, since you did say, "last resort " ; )
696 posts
skadbone1
Hi Raphael, thank you!-yes, when I raise the resolution of the collision volume, from .04 to .o3, it did work; I'm curious about this "vop" trick, can you please explain how to achieve that,? and is it not advised to do so?, since you did say, "last resort " ; )

It's not a first-hand solution cause it may introduce other artifacts, but basically after meshing I take the points whose normal face the collision surface and are within an arbitrary distance threshold and I move them to the collision. I use the distance and normal angle (xyzdist and dot product) to do a linear interpolation so it feels a bit more natural. It's not perfect but has saved my behind in a few situations when I was running out of time to solve with further simulations.

Cheers,
Rafael
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
  • Quick Links