Extent bounding box not visible in viewport

291   2   1
40 posts
Hi,

I am confused on the bounding box visibility when working with payloads on Houdini. Does the "Loft Payload Info" LOP HAVE to be after the payload node for the bounding box to be visible? Currently when saving out our "model.usda" file we use the Loft Payload Info node to set the "extentHint" (see below screenshot).

I was under the impression that if the "extentHint" was set in the file that is payloaded, then the "Loft Payload Info" LOP node would not be necessary? However when payloaded below file, we do not see the bounding box in the viewport, only if we put down another Loft Payload Info node?

Example file here:

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-04-05 200246.png (68.9 KB)

Staff
4445 posts
If the extent information is in the payload file, then when the payload isn't being loaded, the extent information also isn't loaded. The term "Loft" in "Loft Payload Info" is meant to imply that certain bits of critical information (kind, prim type, and extents) are lofted _out_ of the payload file. So including the output of a loft payload info into the payload is kind of pointless.

If you use a Component Builder setup you'll see that the geometry is what gets put inside the payload, with the extents lofted out of the geometry, but still inside the asset structure. So you reference in the asset (not payload in the asset) and you don't need the loft payload info node. Unloading payloads will unload the geometry (the heavy part of the asset) but leave the top level of the asset and the lofted extent info from the referenced top level asset file (e.g. $HFS/houdini/usd/assets/pig/pig.usd).
40 posts
Thanks for the reply and explanation. I got confused about the payload system for a moment there, but it makes now!
  • Quick Links