Toruses copied to points fall as one object in RBD sim

414   3   1
11 posts
I copied 5 toruses to points on a line, then I put that into an RBD sim where they fall onto a "paper towel holder"-looking object. (Like Ring Toss at the state fair.) The toruses should fall around the main pole and bounce around. But the 5 toruses fall as one object, they don't fall as 5 individual pieces.

How can I get objects copied to points to fall individually and interact with each other when they collide?

Screenshot and .hipnc file attached.

thanks,
-Dan

Attachments:
toruses one object.png (358.5 KB)
Toruses.hipnc (506.3 KB)

2041 posts
I separated your toruses and merged them one by one in the merge node for the rigid body solver so it treats the objects separately.

I haven't used these solvers in a long time, so keep your eyes peeled for this thread in case someone with more experience knows a better more efficient way.

Attachments:
Toruses_v1.hipnc (547.3 KB)

419 posts
Not quite sure why you are using the old RBD solver. Here is another quick version using Bullet which is much better suited for this kind of stuff and is faster.
Edited by sepu - April 6, 2024 20:58:20

Attachments:
houdini_TrkHOmFIBO.gif (730.5 KB)
Toruses_v2.hipnc (589.6 KB)

11 posts
Thanks so much to both of you for the two solutions!

I do like the bullet solver with the RBD configure node. It seems like there are lots of good presets like wood, glass, concrete, etc. I will use that from now on.

I was just using the shelf tools for RBD and just choosing "RBD hero object" for the rings, so maybe I did something wrong. I'm still a little confused on when to use RBD and when to use bullet. I tried to use the bullet and just add a pack node before I sent the geo to dops but it didn't work right. I'm still learning. I'll google some more tutorials about RBD stuff in Houdini 20 so I can memorize the workflow and not rely on the shelf.

I added a pop noise into a multisolver to add some variation in how they fall, and it looks great!
Obviously the scale is huge, so they are falling like very large rings. Does the bullet solver work well at smaller scale (so they can bounce around more violently like little plastic rings that don't weigh very much? I know things like FLIP fluids don't work as well at very small scale so I was wondering if the bullet solver is the same.)

thanks for the help!

Attachments:
rings render.mp4 (142.5 KB)

• Quick Links