Artifacts appears in Houdini XPU - UDIM Issues

404   3   0
5 posts
Hi,

I got an issue when I render with XPU that seems to be related to udims.

On huge assets(building) it seems that the UDIM workflow doesn't work properly and break the render with some artifacts.

The asset has a mtlxStandardSurface and everything is working fine in houdini GL or CPU but as soon I used XPU render, the mesh disappears and create some artifacts in all the scene.

After some tests it seems to be a UDIM problem as it only happen when I used <UDIM> token in my texture path otherwise if I used the texture path "1001" the XPU work correctly.

I'm not seeing any errors in the logs.

Is there any solution or update that would fix that issue?
Edited by Tukifri - May 1, 2024 09:14:12
Staff
471 posts
I have not seen this bug before.
I suggest filing a bug (with repro steps + example scene) and we'll look into it soon
thanks
5 posts
Pretty weird bug to reproduce.. So I did a simple scene with a mesh from kitbash. I only connected a normal-map texture.
When I used <UDIM> the artifacts appear in XPU. NB: The textures for the tests are not related to the mesh but I got the same bug with my working mesh that have correct UVs and UDIMS.

I did the test with a folder of 80 maps(normal)and the bug appear but when I connect half of the textures, there's no bug anymore.. The bug also disappear when I reduce the mesh polygon by deleting half of the mesh for example.

I did some tests with .abc and .fbx and it's the same issues

Attachments:
Capture d'écran 2024-04-25 141145.png (1.8 MB)
Capture d'écran 2024-04-25 141202.png (2.1 MB)

174 posts
Is there a chance the textures you're pulling in are actually symlinked from another location? I seem to recall coming across this a few years ago with another render engine in Solaris.
I'd also maybe look at renaming your textures from 'blah_blah_1001.exr' to 'blah_blah.1001.exr'
  • Quick Links