unable to link glcolortablesgi on Fedora 8/linux

6774   10   1
80 posts
Hi guys, I just installed the H9 apprentice version on Fedora core 8, I changed my directory to the opt directory sourced houdini setup then typed in houdini. The houdini startup window with the girl on it starts up then on my command line I get the error “unable to link glcolortableSGI” twice and then nothing happens and houdini doesnt start up. Would anyone be able to help with this problem please.
I am on a mac pro 8 core with an nvidia geforce 7300GT running Fedora 8 64bit, trying to run the latest build of the H9 apprentice.

thanks
Sam
4140 posts
Looks OpenGL related. You installed the latest drivers from nvidia?

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
80 posts
i figured as much thats going to be my next step will try doing that right now. and report back
thanks
Sam
7760 posts
Are you using 9.1.111 or above? I thought the warnings were fixed.

Note that for fedora core 8, I think you also need to set the environment variable HOUDINI_ENABLE_LINUX_THREADED_UI to 0 first.
80 posts
yes i am using the latest version of H9 i just downloaded it 3 days back from the apprentice site. Linux newbie here how does one set the environment variable for it to 0 please?

thanks
7760 posts
9.1.111 just came out yesterday. Please double-check the build you have. The warnings should have been fixed in 9.1.111.

To set the environment variable, do this in the shell prior to starting houdini:

export HOUDNI_ENABLE_LINUX_THREADED_UI=0

Or, you can add this line to the houdini_setup_bash file somewhere. Then it will run when you do “source houdini_setup”
80 posts
thank you very much I will get on it right away and report back if it worked

thanks
Sam
80 posts
Ok so I did as advised updated the Nvidia drivers by getting the 64bit drivers from the nvidia site.
Downloaded and installed Houdini 9.1.112
while running the installer I got this error msg

457048K is the space required to install selections…
2811516K is available on /opt/hfs9.1.112

Commencing installation of selected modules.
This may take a few minutes…

Installing: Houdini in /opt/hfs9.1.112
/opt/hfs9.1.112/bin/houdini-bin: /opt/hfs9.1.112/dsolib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /opt/hfs9.1.112/dsolib/libHoudiniUT.so)
Newer libglib-2.0.so.0 version found
….removing $HFS/dsolib/libglib-2.0.so.0*
Newer libgmodule-2.0.so.0 version found
….removing $HFS/dsolib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0*
Newer libgobject-2.0.so.0 version found
….removing $HFS/dsolib/libgobject-2.0.so.0*

Installing: Houdini menus…
NOTE: For KDE users, you may have to wait a few seconds
for the menu items to appear in the KMenu.
You can also force a menu refresh by running
‘kbuildsycoca –incremental’.

Houdini install successful
hostname: Unknown host

Houdini 9.1 Installation completed.

Please read /opt/hfs9.1.112/Readme.txt
for instructions on how to run Houdini.

*** NOTE ***
Some install errors seem to have occurred.
Your installation may not be complete.
Please correct any serious problems and re-install if necessary.

We hope you enjoy using Houdini 9.1

And then when i source houdini . set the environment variable like you asked me to and run houdini I get this error

/opt/hfs9.1.112/bin/houdini-bin: /opt/hfs9.1.112/dsolib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /opt/hfs9.1.112/dsolib/libHoudiniUT.so)
/opt/hfs9.1.112/bin/hkey-bin: /opt/hfs9.1.112/dsolib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /opt/hfs9.1.112/dsolib/libHoudiniUT.so)
/opt/hfs9.1.112/houdini/sbin/idialog: /opt/hfs9.1.112/dsolib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /opt/hfs9.1.112/dsolib/libHoudiniUT.so

now I am stuck again help please…

thanks before hand for all your help in resloving these issues.

sam
483 posts
Those zlib messages are only warnings, not errors; Houdini should come up and work properly anyways.
483 posts
Also, those warning messages should be fixed for tomorrow's build.
80 posts
thanks joe I will look forward to downloading the new build tomorrow.

As for the fact that houdini should start anyway, the startup window with the girl on it starts up then it says connecting to the server and then nothing happens and then i get the libz error msgs and then nothing happens no houdini startup or anything
  • Quick Links