123.cmd not always being called for setting snap options

3058   2   1
19 posts
Hi,

Just a quick tech issue I'm having. I've got an HScript command that I want to run at startup to set the grid snapping options for the network pane:

neteditor -r 1.0 0.75 -g 1 -a 1 -d Build panetab7

I originally put this in 123.cmd, but it seemed to be called only around 50% of the time when I started Houdini, so I put it in 456.cmd instead. This works more reliably, but still not 100%. Any ideas why?

Is there a better way to set this as a default? Is it possible to set this as a default system wide so that the snap options apply to every network view on all the different layouts and for new windows too?

Thanks

Andy
4140 posts
The reason it didn't work all the time for you was because the neteditor command relies on the specific name of the pane, as opposed to a generic setting. Depending on what you were opening, it might seem like sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but 123 and 456.cmd are absolutely reliable and always are run if they exist. Alas, in your case sometimes it was running on a network that didn't exist(panetab7, in this case). This is flexible, but I agree can be frustrating sometimes. You can save the state of your networks in your Desktop setup, however. Under Windows/Desktop/Save Current Desktop you can Save Current Desktop - now every time this desktop opens, any state you have set up with your networks is recalled.

AFAIK there's no way to set absolute defaults for things like grid snapping, it's pane-specific, but once you setup your desktops I think you'll find it will cease to be a problem.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
19 posts
Thanks a lot for the comprehensive explanation. I'll give that a go instead.

Cheers

Andy
  • Quick Links