Using simulated guide hairs, fur does not move correctly

4261   3   1
12 posts
Hi all,

I am posting a file where I'm trying to get a curve shaped in a nice curl to be my guide hairs for the fur sop. I simulated the curve and it looks fine in dops, but when I turn the fur node on the fur isn't following along the way it should. Instead its going crazy. The file im sending is simplified and similar to the situation I am in. My actual project involves a horse but in this example file i am using a sphere and getting the same result. Perhaps some one can shed some light on the issue. :roll:

Attachments:
SimulatedGuideCurl01.hip (337.2 KB)

66 posts
I'm getting this same problem even with the new Fur shelf tools in the latest version of 9.5! Try this, put hair on a sphere rotating in z, add dynamics, and the hair at the top always spins and flips over. Is this a problem in the quaternion math or something?
66 posts
I'm getting this same problem even with the new Fur shelf tools in the latest version of 9.5! Try this, put hair on a sphere rotating in z, add dynamics, and the hair at the top always spins and flips over. Is this a problem in the quaternion math or something?
Staff
329 posts
uen
I am posting a file where I'm trying to get a curve shaped in a nice curl to be my guide hairs for the fur sop. I simulated the curve and it looks fine in dops, but when I turn the fur node on the fur isn't following along the way it should. Instead its going crazy. The file im sending is simplified and similar to the situation I am in. My actual project involves a horse but in this example file i am using a sphere and getting the same result. Perhaps some one can shed some light on the issue. :roll:

Fur SOP uses the guide hairs to figure out the general bends and segment lengths to put into a volume of hair. They guide the bends and segment lengths of generated hairs, not define a volume containing them. Moving high frequency effects such as curls and frizz to a shader used by the Fur SOP will likely produce better results.
  • Quick Links