Ideas for basic Python projects

3114   2   2
54 posts
Hey guys, I'm just starting to teach myself some basic python scripting (with some help from the CMIVFX tutorials and some other online resources) and I've often found that I learn best if I'm directly applying some knowledge to a basic project that I find interesting. so I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for basic things that I could try and implement in Houdini that might encompass some elementary Python fundamentals.

I do have a basic level of Maxscripting ability and understanding of coding, so I'm starting off with at least a base level of knowledge that I'm just looking to apply.

I had considered creating a basic script to setup various Takes and output folders/render drivers, which I could then perhaps expand with a simple GUI, but I was curious if anyone had any other suggestions?

Cheers,
Gary

Edit –

I just saw that recent Masterclass on Python & Houdini so will definatly give that a watch!
345 posts
How about the measure distance shelftool which can be accessed in OBJ and SOP level as well. I remember Peter Bowmar did similar thing some time ago but that solution used Nulls, the distance was measured in CHOPs and it was available in OBJ context only. I was thinking more about placing points as it is done in the curve tool, so I think I already suggested you where to start…
678 posts
Create tool that allows draw polygon by specifing points in space in the same manner like curve tool does. So you can't reuse existing points. This tool creates all, points and polygon.
  • Quick Links