Writing out .sim files benefits

4690   2   2
23 posts
Hi all,
During my work on my firebomb shot ( http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=21083 [sidefx.com] ),
but generally,
in every Heavy simulation I'm working on (Expecially fluids) I don't notice the advantages on writing out simulation
files at the end of AutoDopNetwork. It seems that the time to read the simulation from disk is greater or very simular
to the time to simulate! Any suggestions or workaround?
thanks in advance
319 posts
I remember when started doing dops sims I wrote out .sim files expecting it to be fast, but found I had the same speed problem when reading them in. I could be wrong, but I think .sim files are just a way of preserving the sim data safely and reliably, rather than speeding up the sim process. After the first time I tried to use them I never touched them again!

I think most people write their geometry/fields to disk as bgeo's. Obviously this means the the bgeo sequence is ‘fixed’ and you cant change it. However, often times with dynamic simulations you can get away with your sim objects not being ‘mutual affectors’, I.e. you can sim one object and save it to disk as a bgeo sequence, read that back in and sim a second object being affected by the first pre-simmed object. Many times when you play the sim back realtime, the eye does not notice that only one object is affecting the other and that they are not mutually affecting each other. This is done with RBD sims alot. You can probably do it with fluid sims by simming one fluid object and baking its fields to disk and then reading it back in and using its vel field to affect a second fluid object (or maybe even read it back in, surface it, bake it back out, read it back in and use it as an RBD collision with the 2nd fluid object).

With this tactical approach you can break your ‘heavy’ sim down into more manageable chunks, and like I said, most of the time when the seperate sim elems are blended together and played realtime, the eye doesn't notice.
23 posts
That's absolutely a great suggestion!
Thank you very much for your detailed reply Dean,it will really help me!
  • Quick Links