Search - User list
Full Version: disabling auto-copy to buffer in any text window
Root » Houdini Lounge » disabling auto-copy to buffer in any text window
kuba
Hi,

Is there any chance I could change a behaviour of any houdini text window (I mean mainly the otl ones) Basically whenever I highlight a block of text, it is automatically copied to the buffer. So currently if I am replacing some text with the new one from my external editor I have to do it in two stages:

highlight and delete the old one,
copy text, switch back to houdini and paste

cumbersome, isn't it?

Disabling this feature in textport is also welcomed.

thank you for any suggestions

cheers
kuba
stevenong
Hi,

Have you tried typing Alt+e twice to launch your external editor for editing? This way, you don't have to copy & paste out of Houdini. Just edit in your external editor, save the changes, close the editor & the modified text will be there for you.

Cheers!
steven
danmeyer
I was wondering what external editors you guys were using? I haven't found one that I liked yet.
JColdrick
There is only VIM [vim.org]. 8)

Sort of like asking what one's religion is, though. I'll admit Vim isn't the best choice if you never need to edit over a shell connection and really just need to edit basic script files. But if you learn it, it will take time, but there's no going back.

Cheers,

J.C.
kuba
Thank's Steven

Yes, I know this method, but sometimes especially doing quick changes I want to save some time and skip external editor, unfortunately almost always mess up with pasting.

danmeyer:

I use on XP textpad which I find very stable and user friendly. If you want to have something cross-platform, maybe jedit will be good for you. It has really huge syntax library, supports VEX as well.
danmeyer
I'm going to give VIM and jedit a try.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.