Search - User list
Full Version: Houdini Complexity for Simple Needs?
Root » Houdini Lounge » Houdini Complexity for Simple Needs?
brucegregory
I'm a simple man. I have simple needs. Having investigated and tried out Houdini over the years, and seeing some of the simplifying additions to Houdini workflow, not to mention the outrageously low price of the “Starving Artist” edition, I'm strongly tempted to try to learn Houdini again.

My simple needs are for very basic, straight forward character modeling, texturing and animation. I don't need to make anything “blow up real good” or catch on fire or slosh around in a container or even grow hair. I don't need match move or rotoscoping or motion capture or complex replication of objects. I need to quickly model organic characters; see them in their subdivided form, vertex paint or unwrap and really paint this model; build a simple skeletal rig and intuitively move and pose this model for creating convincing animation. Compositing the final footage would, of course, be a great plus, but only if it can be done in a “visual” relatively non-technical fashion.

Will Houdini allow me to accomplish these feats in a straight forward manner - something along the lines of Carrara, in terms of difficulty, or Blender, for example? Or is the Houdini package really designed for the up and coming Technical Administrator? If it is the latter, perhaps it should be more accurately labeled the “Starving TA” edition.

Thanks,

Greg Smith
tixilite
Nowadays I am trying to learn houdini as much as I can. I do find it rather difficult to do simple tasks. However, based on screenshots of the older versions of Houdini I think the 9th version has become more simplified(especially with the addition of shelfs).

If you want an easy program, I would recommend Cinema 4d. Its is very user friendly and easy to learn but at the same time quite powerful(with the extra modules). You should try the demo version on their website.
goldfarb
try the regular Houdini Apprentice (free)…
and go through all the introductory docs and vids
you can do all of the things you're looking for…
it is true that Houdini's learning curve is a bit steeper than most other applications but most here would honestly agree that it's worth it…
there are two things you mention that Houdini cannot do
1 - true ‘limit surface’ subdivision in the viewport - you can put down a subdivide SOP and get a very good approximation
2 - painting on models, like modo etc.

otherwise Houdini will meet your needs…actually have a look at Houdin Escape - it's everything you're looking for with a better price than master.
brucegregory
Arctor:

I've only got one computer available right now for running Houdini Escape, and that's my HP Pavillion laptop with a Geoforce graphics card. So far, though I have successfully installed the application and gotten a valid non-commercial license validated, Houdini closes down before or during the time it launches. (I posted more details about this in the “technical questions” forum, so I'm stuck, at present.

Thanks,

Greg Smith
andrewlowell
maybe check out the new auto-rig tools for Houdini, seems like very professional quality rigs for just about everything. In terms of character modeling and texturing Houdini wouldn't be my first choice but I think once a good workflow was established it could probably do ok.

Houdini does really shine on the “hard stuff”
symek
Don't limit your self with a cheap tool. You never know when it will let you down. Point your self little higher than today's needs.

With all these limited usage tools there is a problem of that kind that you miss the very moment when it starts to limit you. You just try and you just can't… but why…?

cheers,
sy.
photex
SYmek is right. Here Here!

You'll probably find that Houdini is easier to use for non complex things than other applications. Then you'll find that Houdini is also easier to use for complex things. Then you'll realize how much you love to use Houdini.

I admit that when I ever want to model something in a non-procedural way I miss some of the cooler modeling tools of Modo or XSI. But that doesn't mean there isn't a quicker or easier way to do what I want. I just haven't found it yet!
koyoteblack
hi!

I know what you mean….but seriously if you need a free modeller for characters and basic architecture…WINGS is the way to go…

not to down houdini…but I havent been able to find tools like slide edges…tweak(at least as robust as I find it in wings)….loop cut…intrude…and bridge….

those…along with the navigation functions make my life a good thing when I use wings….and its FREE!

wings is built more on a “fire and forget” strategem…houdini is built more on “all information is precious” strategem…but the great thing about houdini is the it has become very good at mimicry…and is simultaneously becomeing architecturally neutral to software information…

which ever way you go you cant lose ….99$ WOW!

here is why…they gave you what you need to know for rigging…AND the software comes with an autorigger…

plus…you can mimic your softwares approach….in houdini….and in time houdini will show you other strategies of using the tools…

free modeler

www.wings3d.com

it will run ok on your hardware
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.